Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre History Textbook

Posted 10-25-2016 13:36

Hi all, I have looked in previous discussion posts on this subject and there is a lot to go through.

My high school is looking to add a theatre history class to our curriculum.  I am need of a good book on theatre history.  I have seen quite a few that look good, but the problem that I run into is cost.

So, does anyone know of a good textbook or other supplemental materials that are inexpensive, yet effective, that we may implement as part of a new class? 

Any help in this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Darby O'Brien
    Theatre & English Teacher
    Indianapolis IN

• 2.  RE: Theatre History Textbook

Posted 10-25-2016 17:21

For some reason the textboks out there are very expensive. However, I just did a web search for history of theatre and came up with several good sources which appear to be free for the using. You may be able to use some of these as is (as reading assignments) or use the information in them to create your own materials.

You could also buy one copy of a standard text such as Brockett and use it as a reference, with the material on the web, to create your course.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: Theatre History Textbook

Posted 10-28-2016 09:05

Thanks for the recommendations!  I really appreciate it.

Darby O'Brien
    Indianapolis IN

• 4.  RE: Theatre History Textbook

Posted 10-28-2016 08:45

I would suggest that you enlist the help of your school librarian to help pull together relevant and current writing that might function in lieu of or in tandem with a textbook.    It's so easy nowadays to create and curate collections of articles to which you have electronic access, and I would bet that the librarian would be eager to collaborate with you on such a project.  This way you can tailor the collection to your specific situation.

Monica Williams-Mitchell
    Cincinnati OH

• 5.  RE: Theatre History Textbook

Posted 10-28-2016 09:11

That is an excellent idea!  Thanks.

Darby O'Brien
    Indianapolis IN

• 6.  RE: Theatre History Textbook

Posted 10-29-2016 09:38

I found that the oxford illustrated history of theater is a reasonably priced and full of good information. However it is a higher reading level, and therefore is probably better for students reading at or above grade level.

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL