Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  student internship

Posted 10-24-2016 16:48

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to figure out how to help one of my students find a costuming internship.  We have an experience our seniors can take on for the last four weeks of the school year where they can explore an area of interest.  Many students intern with elementary school teachers, some go to the medical field(watching surgeries, etc), one girl was into fashion design and spent four weeks in Paris at a well known fashion house. 

So here's my question--I have a student who is incredibly interested in costuming construction and design.  He taught himself to sew as a freshman, sought out an internship at one of our local established professional theatres and they ultimately offered him a job sewing costumes.  He would really like to intern with a Broadway designer (1st choice) or in a Broadway quality costume shop. We've also brainstormed the possibility of movie industry costume shops and designers.  He's willing and would like to travel, but part of it would depend on what kind of housing he could establish/where he could stay for the duration.  

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to start looking for contact information--or ideas of people to contact? 

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.

Holly

------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 2.  RE: student internship

Posted 10-25-2016 14:34

Hi Holly, you might want to look into the new Jimmy Humphries technical scholarship, if your student is a senior living in Ohio. For more information contact the Ohio Chapter Director, Pat Santanello:

Ohio - EdTA - Educational Theatre Association

Additionally, encourage him to contact theatres directly and ask. This might not work at the Broadway level, but it's great for local professional theaters. For example, I needed an internship in college, so I emailed a ton of theaters in the Cincinnati area and asked. I secured two internships this way, one even created a position for me and gave me a stipend!

After college, I applied for an existing position at the Lexington Children's Theatre in Lexington, KY who has an amazing internship program, including costume. Definitely check into LCT. I learned more in a summer than I thought possible and they gave me so much direction and confidence.

Good luck!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: student internship

Posted 10-27-2016 01:58

Also check local regional theatres.  Plus, check summer camps, they are a great way to build a portfolio.

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ