Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Functioning Boats

Posted 10-20-2016 10:06

I'm working on Peter Pan and am in need of building small dingy-sized boats for the pirates to "row" on stage to Marooner's Rock.  Has anybody every done something like this and has plans that I could use?  Looking for low-cost, simple ideas, since they aren't used much during the show.  Thanks for your help!

Mike Hancey
    Theatre Program Director
    Musical Theatre, Drama & Theatre Guild
    Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    President WYACDA

• 2.  RE: Functioning Boats

Posted 10-20-2016 16:24
      |   view attached

Don't know if this will help, but here's a drawing for a boat I designed a few years ago for Spamalot. It was basically a ply frame with casters and an open bottom so the occupant could propel it, like Fred Flintstone's car. You can use the idea and simplify the shape.

The drawing also includes a unit for the Lady of the Lake scene, which you can just ignore.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

Attachment(s)

pdf
    SP 3.pdf   557 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Functioning Boats

Posted 10-21-2016 05:46
    Do you want real boats? In one play we simply used a suggested mast for a boat that the actors carried; in another, actors' bodies/ pantomimes suggest d several vessels. That said, we did build a fully functioning, revolving pirate ship for Treasure Island. I'm a big fan of the less is more principle. Audiences can get realms from filed. Give them something simple and more theatrical!

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Functioning Boats

Posted 10-21-2016 10:34

​When I did the show we built a boat around a stripped down used wheelchair.  One of the pirates sat in the seat and drove the boat in jerks as the others rowed.  It was a wonderful effect.  

Good luck,

Russ

Russ Saxton
    Dixie State University
    225 South 700 East
    Saint George, UT 84770
    cell 435-632-9241