Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Physicalizing text?

Posted 10-20-2016 09:01

Does anyone have favorite exercises or activities for helping students physicalize a piece of text? We're doing auditions for the next week or two, and our production will contain a lot of physical storytelling. I'd like to do some activities in acting class to warm them up to this idea and get their creative juices flowing. We've done some Viewpoints and Greek styles work and created movement pieces to poetry. I'm considering mask work, which we have not done yet. We usually do some commedia in the second semester.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Physicalizing text?

Posted 10-20-2016 09:27

LABAN!!

Here's a good source:

https://www.theatrefolk.com/dta_courses/laban-advanced-characterization

http://www.movementhasmeaning.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/LMA-Workshop-Sheet.pdf

I realize it might be too late for your auditions but I find Laban work to be very accessible to my students and great for rehearsal.  

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Physicalizing text?

Posted 11-07-2016 11:00
    The National Michael Chekhov Association ATHE DISCOUNT till 11/15! Go to chekhov.net for complete info and enroll by Nov 15, for our winter intensive training week at the University of Florida, Gainesville, using WIL KILROY as the discount code in the shopping cart, You save $200! The price will reduce from $895 to $695. This active, participatory workshop will include every aspect from the Michael Chekhov chart for inspired acting with additional work on directing and auditioning with the techniques. Let me know if you have any questions, and hope to see you there!

Wil Kilroy

College of Arts and Sciences

Academic Department Head/Professor:   Theatre Arts

Managing Director:  American Southwest Theatre Company

MSC 3072

New Mexico State University

P.O. Box 30001

Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001

575-646-6000 fax: 575-646-5767

wkilroy@nmsu.edu

nmsutheatre.com