Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Short, self-contained activity needed

Posted 10-14-2016 14:09

I need a general theatre/acting activity appropriate for 10th-graders that can be completed in 30-60 minutes. This is for students who visit my program to decide if they want to apply, so it needs to be self-contained. I won't really know their prior knowledge (and it will vary depending on their own past experience). I'd like it to be interactive, challenging, and have them up on their feet as much as possible. My similar activities for other grade-levels are improv (elementary), physicality & Greek theatre (6th grade), characterization & fractured fairy tales (7th grade) and melodrama/silent film (8th grade).

Any ideas or resources? Thank you! 

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Short, self-contained activity needed

Posted 10-15-2016 06:09

I really like situational pantomime for assessing acting ability. I give a short character description to each partner in a pair whispered or on paper. The actors have to act out the situation without talking and while paying attention to their partner's expressions, actions, and body language. Depending on how many students you have, you could have the pairs discuss what happened in the scene, give a bit of coaching and let them try again, or have them switch roles. This also gives you an idea of how coachable the actor is.

Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC