Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  First Scene Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-13-2016 10:54
    Hello Friends,
    I'm constantly evaluating if my work is...well working. Recently, I've felt the need to adjust how I teach the first scenes to my intro level kids. In my revamping, I wanted to get some ideas how someone else does things, so here are my questions:
    1. How do you TEACH blocking? And not just the notation, but "how to block a scene" kind of thing.
    2. How do you schedule the daily rehearsals? Do you give them specific goals each day? If so, what are those daily goals?
    3. What do YOU do while the kids are rehearsing? Do you work with just a couple of groups? Do you schedule specific groups for specific days? Do you walk around and just observe?
    Thanks.
    ------------------------------
    Nathan Shewell
    Theatre Arts Director
    Indianapolis IN

• 2.  RE: First Scene Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-17-2016 11:13

Hi Nathan, here's a good thread about teaching blocking:

Blocking Activities or Games

Regarding the rehearsal scheduling, from an actor's perspective, absolutely set goals for each rehearsal, it makes rehearsals so much more efficient and ensures that you cover everything you need to before the performance. For example, if I know that on Tuesday night we're going to run the first three scenes in Act 1, I'm going to look over those specific lines and blocking in advance to make sure I'm prepared. 

As far as your role, I would schedule time to work with each specific group to make sure they are staying on task and have a designated time to ask questions. The students who aren't working with you can either rehearse independently or work with another student group to get peer feedback. 

Hope this helps! 

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: First Scene Rehearsal Schedules

Posted 10-17-2016 12:15

Hi Nathan :^)

I have tried several methods with my kids to introduce blocking. Here's what I've latched on to as "working" for the kids:

In a large group:

- go over exactly what blocking (although I frequently use the work staging) is.

- stress the importance of always having a pencil in rehearsal to take notes and still allow for changes as the rehearsal process continues.

- work on staging a single group in front of the entire class (the kids get the same scenes for this introduction). Since everyone has the same script it is easy for them to follow what I'm doing. The kids are encouraged to ask questions as I move through the scene. By this point in the class my expectation on this subject is ingrained and comfortable for them, so I usually get a lot of questions.

I also point out other options as I block. This allows the kids to see how different staging can affect the scene. We discuss tempo, beats, objectives, obstacles, character movement and voice work throughout the process. I'm a very organic director so the kids have a lot of freedom as actors to try things and make suggestions. I also let the kids design the set for their individual scene. This creates a sense of ownership that helps when I'm working with them.

In small groups:

- every group gets individual attention. It's time consuming but I've found even 10 minutes per group clears up a lot of confusion for the kids without them needing to take the initiative to ask pertinent questions in front of the group. I don't have many kids who find this difficult but there are always a few and I don't want them slipping through the cracks. 

- I have the kids do a "line check" about a week after I assign the scenes to ensure that they get off-book. Since I have a standing rule in my classroom that students may make up any grade (excluding performances, midterms and finals) as many times as they would like until they are satisfied with the grade, this supports the need to learn the lines without stressing the kids too much.

- the groups perform for each other using the rubric I will use for the performance. This allows the kids to really grasp what the expectations are and begins training them in how to critique each other constructively. Since the kids are graded on their critique of each other and not the rehearsal performances they usually do a pretty good job of following the rubric. 

- I like providing them the time to work in small groups where I am not always watching to ensure that their time is used wisely. Part of the class is learning to budget time and use rehearsal time properly. I always point out that I finished school a long time ago and I am not a babysitter (even when I feel like one *sigh*). Most of the kids learn pretty quickly that they should use their time appropriately. I've never had issues with parents continuing to complain about a low grade their student may have received after I provide information on the amount of time in class. 

- I also like the small group time because it allows kids to come up to me with specific questions that I can address while they are working on rehearsals and/or memorizing lines. For a lot of the kids the memorization factor is a whole new ball game and they have no idea how to effectively approach accomplishing it. The time when I'm not working with scheduled groups, and I have time at least every 3 classes, is the perfect opportunity for them to do this. 

- I have a general daily goal on the board for every class I teach. I also give verbal expectations on where the kids should be in the rehearsal process on an almost daily basis. 

Hope this helps!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ