Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Zimmerman's THE ODYSSEY

Posted 10-10-2016 14:56

After reading what feels like every published play in the English language, we've circled back to the idea of Mary Zimmerman's The Odyssey, which we've bandied about for several years. My guest artist is really interested in it for the physicality and storytelling opportunities, but it still just doesn't grab me. What am I missing? Seriously, those of you who are fans, tell me why. It would be a good pick for us as far as casting breakdown and level of artistic challenge, and I'm so tired of digging through plays that I just want to make a decision. Help me get on board?

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Zimmerman's THE ODYSSEY

Posted 10-11-2016 05:57
    I liked Metamorphoses better, but Odyssey was a success, too. The play hinges on a strong Odysseus. We had an alum choreographer who staged a lot of the movement bits, from the scene with Cyclops to all the ships, created with actors. We had a teacher play Zeus, atop the set, plying chess, as if he were moving everyone around, and all these things worked really well. It was a great ensemble piece.

Sent from my iPad

• 3.  RE: Zimmerman's THE ODYSSEY

Posted 10-11-2016 08:00

We did Metamorphoses about six years ago, and I liked it a lot. I think my problem with The Odyssey is that the female characters are so boring. I definitely have guys who can pull off Odysseus, but I feel like it doesn't offer much for my women.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Zimmerman's THE ODYSSEY

Posted 10-21-2016 11:01

It's a male play. That's why I didn't choose it either!! Looks cool, but you're right: not great starring roles for women. I think it's very flexible though, so, there's that.

Kandace
    Drama Teacher
    WA

• 5.  RE: Zimmerman's THE ODYSSEY

Posted 10-12-2016 09:46

We did Mary's ODYSSEY back in 2009 and it continues to be one of my favorites of all of her shows we've done.  Besides the curricular tie-in with students and mythology, the language she uses to tell the ancient epic tale is so beautiful and powerful and of course the theatricality which is probably the coolest part.  Our set was a giant raked sandbox with walkways--kind of a "dry" version of the METAMORPHOSES pool.  So many cool stylistic moments from the pierced  hanging sandbags to represent the death of the suitors to the Sirens represented by modern versions of male female fantasies to the giant cyclopes represented through shadow--it was an amazing educational and artistic journey for both the cast and our audiences.  Here is a short clip of some of our scenes.  I don't think you or your kids will be disappointed if you choose to do it.  Just the opposite.  I'd be happy to discuss anything further with you if you want.

The Odyssey (Appleton North High School theatre production)

YouTube remove preview
    The Odyssey (Appleton North High School theatre production)
    Following their highly successful productions of Metamorphoses and The Arabian Nights, Appleton North High School's theatre department presented another a ground-breaking work by Tony Award-winning playwright Mary Zimmerman. This dramatic adaptation of Homer's ODYSSEY begins with a modern young woman who is struggling to understand Robert Fitzgerald's translation of the famous myth.
    View this on YouTube >

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI