Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  gender neutral query

Posted 10-07-2016 12:09

As we prepare to launch our fall play, one of my (female) students, who goes by 'she', but is gender neutral has asked if she can be in the men's dressing room for the run of the play the other 10 young men in the play.  I'm guessing, since they're a pretty tight group of friends, that she won't get any push back, but something about this is making me uneasy.  What if there is one boy who isn't okay with this?  How do I honor all parties?  Your thoughts are welcome...

Janet Van Wess
    Theatre Arts Director
    Liberty High School

• 2.  RE: gender neutral query

Posted 10-07-2016 13:55

Our transgender policy states that if a person is offended by a transgender student being in the dressing room then an alternative is made available to the person offended. To give the transgender student separate facilities is the equivalent to a "whites only" water fountain. You don't choose to be transgender but you do choose to be offended. Check with the students and parents.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: gender neutral query

Posted 10-08-2016 09:06

The question I am asking is: Do we have a responsibility to notify parents of this request.  I am very interested in this conversation as I have a female student who identifies as male.  I know this is a source of contention between the student and parents as he has asked me to only address him by his female name when parents are around.  I am very confident the parents would have a huge issue with the dressing room issue.  Regardless of student acceptance of the gender identification, don't we have to consider parental wishes?

Charlotte Kauffman
    English & Theatre Teacher
    Chesapeake VA

• 4.  RE: gender neutral query

Posted 10-09-2016 11:15

If the parents are not supportive or understanding of this student's transgender identification, I would absolutely not let him/her change in the male dressing room.  You run the risk of the parents flipping out--parents of both this student and the biologically male students, some of whom are probably shy about showing their still maturing bodies to someone they have known as a female. What defense could you offer that wouldn't sound as if you are saying that you know more about raising this child than the parents do? More than this one transgender student's feelings are at stake here. 

In my building, I could offer the option of changing in either of the single occupant restrooms, which I have labeled as female/male.  I could offer the mechanical room, a screened off area in the scene shop, or even my office (after covering the windows to the classroom and scene shop with fabric or paper.)  

I have a student in our current production who is transgender.  The students have been very good about using a male name and pronouns for this person they knew last year by a female name.  The parents have come around to supporting the transition and appreciate that the theatre wing is the place in our school where this student feels most authentically seen and accepted.  That fact, the acceptance, is more important than where he will dress.  Since we will have a quick change area set up, I will suggest he change there or in a bathroom, if the question comes up.  But since this cast is all 11th and 12th graders, I won't meddle unless asked.   

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: gender neutral query

Posted 10-08-2016 11:26

I am fortunate, the students in the theatre company are the most open, tolerant and compassionate students at the school. Many of them attend the Pride Club meetings once a week (which discusses LGBTQA issues).  The gender fluid students in the company seem fine with any dressing room. They are not set in any one sex, since they seem to identify with both.  They usually have no issue about dressing in the room that relates to their biology. Besides the two separate dressing areas, there are two private bathrooms backstage, large enough to change clothes in for anyone who does feel uncomfortable or is too shy to change in front of others. The key here is about providing alternate spaces for everyone.

I have students who identify only with the opposite sex of birth. A few students who were born female, signed up for theatre using male names, use only the "he" pronoun, and are only considered for male roles when auditioning. They have only been cast in male roles. They will use the male dressing room. So far, no one has been offended. If anyone is, there are the two bathrooms.

I puzzle over the students who seem confused and unsure about any of this. I have a couple female students who may be exploring their identities, however, they have signed up for theatre using their correct female names, they use female pronouns, often fix their hair in curls, etc., wear make up, skirts and dresses, and generally act and present themselves as females. They have been cast in female roles.  The only time they use a male name is with other students, never with me.  I am old fashion, if you use a female name, act, dress, and talk like a female, then I expect you to use the female dressing room. (To be clear, that would be true of a student born male, who did all this; I would assign "her" to the female dressing room.)  Investigation of self is an important part of growing up, however, I feel the issue of students dressing and undressing too sensitive for someone still in the exploring stage of their identity. The two students mentioned used the female dressing room without issue. 

These are changing times, and there are no clear guidelines or directions, since even states and schools seem troubled creating laws. I think it is best to be open and fair to all students as the drama director, and still provide a safe and protective environment for all. With that said, you have to do what you think is best for your students and community. I try to remain fair and open about my guidelines, and I have not had any student complain, yet. 

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio