Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  non traditional space

Posted 10-06-2016 08:32

Our activities calendar is very busy in the spring and our access to the stage would be limited.  I'm considering doing our spring production in the rotunda of our main building. This is a small space. We would be in the round. There is a second floor above, which might be a cool place for a Greek chorus.  We would obviously have no set, and very little by way of lights and sound, as it would all have to be brought in.  Our only other option is to have a weds, thurs, saturday run on the stage, or not have a tech week on the stage.  It's a conundrum.  I'm sure we're not alone.  Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Rebecca Rajswasser
    Teacher
    Ocala FL

• 2.  RE: non traditional space

Posted 10-06-2016 15:37

I have an adaptation of Euripides' Children of Hercules that is great. I first saw it at The Scoop in London in Southwark. I think it addresses the issue of refugees.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: non traditional space

Posted 10-07-2016 06:30
    We're in the midst of renovation in our theatre, so I share your dilemma. Our choice was The 39 Steps this fall. I'm not a huge fan of Our Town, and we just did a Wilder play last year.) In the spring, I'm pondering Under Milk Wood and two short Celtic plays (Selkies is one). All of these shows lend themselves to strong acting, in the round, cool costumes and sound (since we, too have limited lighting in our temporary space). About the only difficulty I have faced is that students are having trouble getting the requisite sense of seriousness that they usually get at this time when we move from rehearsal room to the theatre because we've been rehearsing in our new space from the start. But, they are troupers and will do fine. Other plays to consider? Antigone or Walter Kerr's The Birds. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: non traditional space

Posted 10-08-2016 18:12
    Look at scripts by Mary Zimmerman. They lend themselves to alternative spaces to traditional theatres, as well as opportunities for ensemble casting.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: non traditional space

Posted 10-07-2016 08:00
    12 Angry Men (or Women or Jurors) would work great in that space. When I was in college, we produced Inherit the Wind in a similar space. I a, sure any other "legal" themed play would also work well. There are several Agatha Christie mysteries or The Night of January 16th, etc. Instead of competing with the non-traditional space, take advantage of it in your production. Hope that helps!

Ann

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    State Chapter Director, Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914

• 6.  RE: non traditional space

Posted 10-07-2016 17:21

I think that sounds like fun.  Adaptive work is good to do from time to time and could be especially rejuvenating or inspiring for your troupe.  I do wonder a little bit about the precedent of giving up your space, however.  Perhaps performing in both spaces would be a good experience.  I think also working to solve production problems in new ways is a great lesson.  After all, the theatrical paradigm we work in is just that.  Why not change it up from time to time?

When the auditorium was being remodeled in a previous school, we did Jon Jory's Love, Death and the Prom in the quad between the cafeteria, main building and stadium.  It was a pretty neat experience.  Thursday night during the JV football game there was announcing and game play behind the play.  For some scenes it was a additional element, for others a distraction.  Overall, it was a neat experience, though.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 7.  RE: non traditional space

Posted 10-08-2016 14:23

We were in a similar situation a few years ago. During the summer, our construction took over most of the Cafeteria as well, so we did Everything I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten for our summer production - we rehearsed in the Dance Room and performed in the Gym (pipe and drape backdrop and used mostly cubes). We did Shakespeare in Hollywood for our fall play and set this as a 'theatre in the round' in the Cafeteria. Our scene shop is directly connected to the Cafeteria, so we created three main playing areas with a couple of platforms that we could move in and out easily for evening rehearsals and tech week. We ran a portable pipe and drape to cover the school kitchen behind the platforms and allow the scene shop to be our 'backstage', set tables for audience seating, and included dessert at Intermission into the ticket price. Another show that works well in a non-traditional space is J.B....

My students got a lot out of the challenge of designing and making choices for a non-traditional venues, in addition to having to think ahead, anticipating potential challenges. 

Best of luck as you brainstorm ideas!

Teresa McGrath
    Theatre Director and Fine Arts Department Chair
    SJCS - Greenville SC