Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fog Machine

Posted 10-04-2016 08:42

Hi everyone!
    We are looking to use a fog machine for some upcoming performances and our school is concerned about setting off the fire alarm.  Does anyone know if there is a specific type of fog machine that would avoid this issue?

Thanks!
    Karen Schwartz

Note: "This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and/or e-mail."

• 2.  RE: Fog Machine

Posted 10-04-2016 09:50

Oh fog machines...I have nightmares about using fog machines. We've set the fire alarms off more times than I can count. Once during a school-wide test day! Yikes! I'd love to know if there is a better option too! 

------------------------------
    Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 3.  RE: Fog Machine

Posted 10-05-2016 06:18

This is always an issue, you will need to see if your sensors are heat or particulate triggered, the particulates are what trigger some systems.

Another option is to have the alarm turned off for the performance then restarted after the production is done, I have seen this be allowed in some instances, especially with the zoning that is possible in the newer alarm systems.

I recommend speaking with your administration first, then meeting with your alarm system company to formulate a plan of attack.

Good Luck

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: Fog Machine

Posted 10-05-2016 20:06

That's really good advice with regard to the alarm system and its sensors. 

Another option, which in the long run is probably much better than a fog machine, is a dry ice fogger.  Many of us resist them due to their cost.  But, considering that I have purchased at least 10 oil driven foggers over my tenure as a theater teacher, the investment in a dry ice fogger seems minimal as they last a very long time and can produce all sorts of effects.  Purchase or make one and charge it off to the production.  Fundraising might be required, but in the long run I think you'll be much happier.  I have never had any experience with a dry ice fogger setting off alarms, but it might be worth renting a unit and testing it, first.

One can also create some neat dry ice effects with a bucket of water and a fan-- just depends on the desired image. 

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Fog Machine

Posted 10-06-2016 13:21
    It depends on the type of fog you want.
    I like the kind that creeps along the ground and only billows up if you walk through it.
    I just bought two American DJ Mister Kool Low-Lying Foggers, and they work great. You need to put ice in the machine, and they work best if you buy the high-density fog juice and store it in a cool place.
    Here's a demo video:

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA

• 6.  RE: Fog Machine

Posted 10-06-2016 08:17

This is a very common problem, one which many schools are not willing to deal with. On occassion schools will be willing to turn it off, but usually its hard because its part of a bigger system. 

I have been able to get around it by switching to a Haze Machine. The particulate count is much less dense and spread out over a larger area. I have packed my theater with haze and the alarm, never goes off. We had particulate counter in the space and it never really changed too much. At least not in the range of disaster. 

Low lying fog works well too. Just a very different look.  

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI