Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Memorization Checks

Posted 10-03-2016 16:11

Good Afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone has a good way to do memory checks for their classes?  My monologue students have a memorization deadline for next week, however, without personally checking them one on one, I was curious if there was a faster and/or more efficient way?

Thanks,

Ginny

------------------------------
    Ginny Schreiber
    Forest Ridge School
    Bellevue, WA

• 2.  RE: Memorization Checks

Posted 10-03-2016 20:25

You could have them write their monologues. Maybe have a time limit of 10 or 20 minutes so it doesn't take the entire class.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Memorization Checks

Posted 10-04-2016 11:01

You could have them submit a video or a link to a video they publish on YouTube (or some other site). You can skim through it quickly and most definitely tell if it's memorized or they are reading their lines.

Susan Nieten
    Theatre & English Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 4.  RE: Memorization Checks

Posted 10-04-2016 11:54

Peer Evaluate.  Put them in pairs or teams with extra copies of the monologues.  The evaluating students can circle or highlight any missed lines.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Memorization Checks

Posted 10-04-2016 12:23

I love peer evaluations! We do a round robin to practice. We do review what we should look and listen for in a monologue performance.

Half of the class is sitting around the room/stage with critique slips and the other half are performers. The performers stand in front of the person giving a critique and perform beginning with their slate, monologue and "thank you" at the end.

The person giving the critique completes the slip gives it to the performer to check. The performer moves to the next person to critique with the idea they will correct what was suggested by the peer that just gave them their evaluation.

You can modify as needed giving them five minutes to have individual time and make those corrections personally and the peer evaluators can practice their monologue as the performers are making corrections. And yes, the do switch places.

I hope this is not too confusing, but it does work and everyone is engaged. J

Deanna E. Davvs

HMS Theatre

Strategic * Maximizer * Includer * Ideation * Arranger

Haltom Middle School

5000 Hires Lane

Haltom City, Texas  76117

deanna.davis@birdvilleschools.net

Phone: (817) 547-4103

• 6.  RE: Memorization Checks

Posted 10-06-2016 00:37
      |   view attached

I'm going to attach the simple peer critique sheet I use with my Theatre I students.  A day or two before their first off-book performance of a monologue, I give them 15 to 20 minutes to have three people hold book, give line prompts when they say "Line," and write one specific comment.  That is three separate performances, not performing for three peers at the same time.  So each person in the class is holding book and critiquing 3 fellow students, as well as performing for 3 peers.  I take up the forms and give a daily grade for having all three peer spaces filled in.  None of their monologues are more than one-minute long, so the 15 to 20 minutes is sufficient time for this.

I have used the same form with some Theatre II classes, but most of the students have learned the value of having peers watch and hold book by then.

I never, never, never watch a monologue until the student is off-book.  Life is too short for that nonsense.  : )

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

Attachment(s)

doc
    Peer Critique Form.doc   23 KB 1 version