Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  "Silent Movie" scripts

Posted 09-28-2016 13:31

I've always done a pantomime performance as part of my unit on body language and stage presence in my level 1 acting class (7th and 8th graders).  I've had them take a fairy tale and perform it silently.  I'd like next semester to challenge my kids to actually make simple silent movies, assessing the same objectives.  Does anybody know of any resources that have good "silent movie scripts"?  Ideally something along the lines of 5 minutes--or longer scripts that I could pull scenes from?  Remember it should be appropriate for middle schoolers.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jason Coats
    Westridge MS
    Overland Park, KS

• 2.  RE: "Silent Movie" scripts

Posted 09-28-2016 14:55

I've added what I have for a Silent Movie Unit into the Library. Use as you wish. Credit to the authors should be contained within.

I've searched online for scripts, many of them too long. However, you may want to do a cursory search. Here's an example website: 101 Free Silent Films: The Great Classics

Open Culture remove preview
    101 Free Silent Films: The Great Classics
    Advertisement Watch over 100 free silent films. Including some of the most important films ever made. Watch films by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali, Charlie Chaplin, Dziga Vertov, D.W. Griffith, Alfred Hitchcock, Sergei Eisenstein, Fritz Lang, F.W. Murnau and many more. For
    View this on Open Culture >

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 3.  RE: "Silent Movie" scripts

Posted 09-29-2016 08:23

When I have my 8th graders for outreach, we talk about melodrama and silent film. Then I have them act out synopses of Edgar Allen Poe short stories. Those stories lend themselves well to melodrama and that gothic horror style. I did the condensing myself to make it easy for them to read the plot summaries.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: "Silent Movie" scripts

Posted 09-30-2016 09:28

We have a couple of great scripts that are inspired by silent film: 

Balloonacy Plays for Young Audiences

Playsforyoungaudiences remove preview
    Plays for Young Audiences
    Plays for Young Audiences handles licensing rights for plays and musicals written for young audiences...
    View this on Playsforyoungaudiences >

Reeling Plays for Young Audiences

Playsforyoungaudiences remove preview
    Plays for Young Audiences handles licensing rights for plays and musicals written for young audiences...
    View this on Playsforyoungaudiences >

Michelle Wright
    General Manager
    Minneapolis MN