Open Forum

View Only

Radium Girls

• 1.  Radium Girls

Posted 09-28-2016 08:07

​After reading various posts, I am thinking of going forward with this show for my spring play. I have 18 girls and 8 boys, not all of whom will audition.  My question for those who have done it is about the set. I have a stage in a classroom, with no back stage area. Would that pose any problems?

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    392-1543

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right!"   Henry Ford

• 2.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 09-29-2016 07:17
    We did it set up proscenium style in our black box. Entrances and exits were done from the doors of the room with a little masking and furniture on stage for the duration, but no real backstage area.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 09-29-2016 08:04

Great choice!  I'm doing the show right now for our One Act competition.  This show is written to be as flexible as necessary when it comes to the set.  Don't worry about space.  Not having a backstage is never a deal-breaker.  Using minimal set and non-traditional spaces can be fun challenges.  There is hardly a time when more than a handful of actors are on stage in any one scene, so this show doesn't require a large space.

For your purposes, I would suggest:

Using a few tables and chairs that can be used in numerous scenes.  For example: the factory table that the girls use in the opening scene can then become the kitchen table, then a desk, then an exam table in the doctor's office then one of the lawyer's tables in the court room scene.  Simply by adding various table cloths and putting different props on it, you can use one simple set piece to evoke various scenes.

I am using a technique of a rear projection screen.  We are performing on our mainstage but I am using a 6x8 portable screen dressed up to look like a "mini-stage" in the center of the MainStage.  The idea is that the story becomes "circus-like" as the press and lawyers begin using the girls for their own ends.  If you're in a classroom, using a projector - even on the sides of the performance area - may be useful.  But, of course, it's not essential.

Break a leg with it!  

------------------------------
    Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 4.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 09-29-2016 08:39

We did this show for competition last year. It went very well- 2nd in the state! We casted enough girls for each dead girl to be present on stage as they died. By the end when they say "13 girls have died" 13 girls were back there. So we had our 5 girls and 5 boys for the leads and then 11 extra girls. It was creepy to have the girls in the background representing the tragedy. Loved the show! And very minimal set- mainly benches and tables! Best of luck!

Brooke Jackson

• 5.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 01-18-2017 08:48
    We had a discussion a few months back about Radium Girls. I am asking for a cast list that divided up the extras parts to accomodate more actors, Brooke Jackson, you used 11 girls for the extras. Can you share how you assigned those parts. Did anyone else use several more actors than the 9-10 that thscript calls for? Thanks for your help. 

Amy Sando
    Minden NV

• 6.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 01-19-2017 16:55
    I just started the production and I have cast 21 actors.  I'm doubling some of the parts but most are one character. I am thinking of using them as extras as well in the street scenes and as girls in the studio for those actors that are only in a few moments.  

Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 7.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 01-24-2017 10:41
    On Casting:
    I attached my cast list a reference.  When casting, I avoided double casting entirely to create more roles, other than having a bunch of the smaller roles as 'crowd persons' in a few of the group scenes (like the Women's Club).  I cross-cast Dr. Martland as a female and split the second reporter into 2, so I actually had three reporters that spoke lines.

On Set:
    Most have chimed in on the flexibility of the set. You will certainly want to go with some kind of unit base set that can change simply and quickly.  I echo what most have said about using basic pieces like table and chairs than can shift position and can inidicate a new scene by location and with lighting perhaps.  For the person mentioned not having backstage space, I think you can work around that pretty easily with this show.  I attached a couple pics as well as reference on what we did.

In general, I loved working on the show.  There is a lot there to talk with students about in terms of material and comparisons to today.  I also used a lot of projection montages throughout the play during transitions that included showed images and topics from the period of the show until modern times that drew comparisons on things lets settlements, marketing, etc.

Erik Hart
    Michigan
    Warren Con. School of Perf. Arts
    ehart@wcskids.net

Attachment(s)

• 8.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 09-29-2016 10:09

We are in rehearsal for "Radium Girls" right now.  The script allows for great creativity. It easily flows from scene to scene with quick placement of small furniture pieces. I have even been able to rehearse easily in my classroom when we are displaced by another event after school.  I am sure your production will be a success in your smaller space.

Valerie Gargus
    Play & Thespian Troupe Director
    Northern Burlington County Reg HS
    Columbus, NJ

• 9.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 09-29-2016 12:42

My students voted on Radium Girls for a district competition. The competition script lists a cast list

for 9 or 10 actors. Has anyone divided up the cast to fit 12 actors? Thank you in advance.

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 10.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 09-29-2016 17:23
    I love the Radium Girls but I found that These Shining Lives was a little better for a One Act competition. I loved the girls relationship development in These Shining Lives. I know that we used a larger group for that show.

---------------------------------
    Candice Corcoran
    Kennesaw GA
    ---------------------------------

• 11.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 10-02-2016 10:59

This is my frontrunner right now for our one act, but I've read both the full length and the one act, and like the full length better... so I can't decide if I should save it for next year's full length show.  Does anyone have input/advice on that? 

Josie Tierney-Fife
    English Teacher/Theater Director
    Gorham, Maine

• 12.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 10-03-2016 08:26

Great script!

We used a few platforms, some benches, clothes racks on both sides of the stage, and the actors sat on the benches to the side by the costumes or were in the scene.  They never left the stage.

Break a leg!

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 13.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 10-04-2016 08:37

When I did the Radium Girls a few years ago, I kept the reporters on stage all the time.  They sat at the proscenium, observing the action, and then stood and moved into the scenes that they were in.  You could extend this idea in your space and have everyone sit on stage throughout - perhaps upstage in a semi-circle - like a silent Greek chorus witnessing the action.  

Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Studio and Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    NJ

• 14.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 10-05-2016 12:51

I just closed this show, and it was a wonderful expierence.

This show is so flexible you can do it with any cast in any setting.  It doesn't require much.  I had one unit set.  One table that worked as every table/desk, 5 chairs for every chair, one "dentist" chair & one fake bed.

Here are a few pics to share, because I am still waiting on the photographer to return them to me.  They'll be on my website soon if you feel the need to browse (under the Radium Girls tab) http://wchstheatre.weebly.com/otgMNKZSkCGxgVGfLa7O_RG 2.jpgOyjkhAtnQdm7kzWJTLQx_RG3.jpgZxXgPkM1QBmp1oTdjZ65_RG Seniors.jpg

Break a Leg!

Rain

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 15.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 01-20-2017 11:25
    We LOVED this play. We did the one act competition version at a one act competition and it went really well. My students loved the creativity, the easy flow from scene to scene, and the history. We included dramaturgy in our preparation and even took a field trip to The National Atomic Museum to look at actual dials painted by real Radium Girls. I kept the entire cast on stage the entire time and double/triple cast all roles, except for Grace.

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 16.  RE: Radium Girls

Posted 08-23-2017 19:02
    Thinking about doing this for my fall play and all of these posts are SO helpful! Thank you so much everyone :)

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA