Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Costume Unit/Tech Theatre

Posted 09-23-2016 12:51

I have a Tech Theatre that, by necessity, has to be a mostly academic or online class.  (Meaning I have 32 students, no equipment to speak of and very little space) 

I am about to sail into a costume unit and am wondering if there are some useful, user-friendly, web-based costume design sites that I could use for this class.  Also, any accessible, entertaining ideas/sites for the study of history would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!!

------------------------------
    Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 2.  RE: Costume Unit/Tech Theatre

Posted 09-23-2016 15:55

I'm not sure about a website but I've got a costume history based assignment if you want it. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Costume Unit/Tech Theatre

Posted 09-24-2016 09:39

Hi, 

In terms of videos to watch, on everything, not just costumes, if you look up the National Theater on Youtube they have all sorts of videos about costumes, and tech elements that are educational.  You can also create very basic things with glue guns and scrap fabric, like gloves, or hats, or socks.   You could even pair them or in groups, and get free/donated old clothing and have them turn transform it into a new look with scissors and scraps. 

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 4.  RE: Costume Unit/Tech Theatre

Posted 09-24-2016 10:31

I have a contemporary costuming assignment my tech class just complete for Romeo and Juliet. In addition to color palettes they also made costume collages. They had to explain all of their choices as well in a presentation/in writing.

Some chose to do traditional glue and paper collages but others used a site called Polyvore.

For colors, my students cut swatches from paint chips, but there are sites online that help generate harmonious combinations too, such as https://coolors.co

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    Indian Springs, AL