Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Technical Theatre Class Resources

Posted 09-22-2016 13:59

Hello All -

My school currently has no technical theatre classes, and I'm in the process of proposing one for next school year. I'm wondering what structures / units you may use for your tech classes and what resources would be good for me to look at.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Adam Miller
    Theatre/English Teacher
    Warren Township High School
    Gurnee, IL

• 2.  RE: Technical Theatre Class Resources

Posted 09-22-2016 17:15

Bob and Marty Fowler's DVD series is great.  I would recommend the set most highly.  Also, Bill Raoul's Stock Scenery and Construction Handbook is great as is The Photometrics Handbook and The Backstage Handbook.  There is also a wealth of information on YouTube-- there's a nice series from the National Theatre in England and Wicked has a whole series on the look and construction of the show.  I even found a video of a young professional who uses a Maker Bot to create scenic models in New York.

In terms of units, we do

Shop Safety-- Tool Safety, Scenic Design, Lighting Design, Costume Design, Sound Design, Scenic Painting.  All of these units can be done as simply or as elaborately as you like-- IE: in a classroom with some art supplies or in a production setting.  One thing I'd like to add is stage management and technical direction, but we're not there, yet.

Hope that helps,

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Technical Theatre Class Resources

Posted 09-23-2016 11:16

I second the suggestion for Bob and Marti Fowler's Practical Technical Theatre curriculum. 10 DVDs or now you can purchase a license to stream it, thus eliminating discs entirely and useful for flipped classrooms. Trying to look into it myself. We managed to obtain a full set of the DVDs through a grant (emphasizing the real-world education and skills the series teaches, how technical theatre jobs are in high demand, etc).

I would also highly recommend Derek Lane's workbook for technical theatre and design. Its a whopping 400+ pages of really, really useful, practical hands-on teaching of design concepts, including 10 manageably sized plays that your students can read in one class period or less (!) for them to apply their design learning to. Not sure where you can get it, it's self-published at this point, but I'm sure someone could chime in with where one could get a copy? (also available as a PDF download; very handy for printing out for classes!)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Technical Theatre Class Resources

Posted 09-23-2016 11:23

Since Phillip beat me to seconding Bob and Marti's courses, I'll third it. I had the pleasure of meeting them at the conference and was very impressed with what they're doing.

If you're also looking for general tech theatre resources, I have a nice long list of publications, catalogs, suppliers, and so forth, in the Resources page in my blog, at www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com. These are all very commonly used in the industry and can create a good library for your program.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 5.  RE: Technical Theatre Class Resources

Posted 09-24-2016 17:32

Hi,

As others have suggested, Bob and Marti's series gives you both content, sequence and evaluative tools.

One question, is this a CTE class in Illinois? If yes, there are likely guidelines, if not, those same guidelines could prove helpful in formulating your class structure, sequence and topics. Here is a link to Arizona's CTE standards for Technical Theatre:

http://www.azed.gov/career-technical-education/files/2011/11/technical-standards-technical-theatre-50050020.pdf

You might also glean information on general tool use at:

https://www.cteonline.org/

The books mentioned are all good sources but I would add the manuals for your light and sound boards as well as Quick Start Guides for the same. You may find it beneficial to start teaching your equipment first and then branch out to standard practices for other topics and design as well.

I have an article coming out in the next Teaching Theatre Journal that discusses evaluation as well as documentation that may prove helpful.

Best Wishes,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 6.  RE: Technical Theatre Class Resources

Posted 09-28-2016 19:36

All - 

Thank you so much for the resources. I will definitely look into them as I craft the class. I'm not sure if it would be a CTE course, but I will certainly look into that possibility as well.

Thanks!

Adam Miller
    Theatre/English Teacher
    Warren Township High School
    Gurnee IL