Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Another wireless mic question!

Posted 09-22-2016 09:03

Good morning everyone,

As many of you may know, there is a new band of frequencies that will be prohibited (600 range). I recently received a generous donation from a local theater of 4 wireless lavalier mics and receivers, but they were in the 700 range...which is already prohibited. So, can't use those.

I would like to purchase 6-8 mics and receivers. Right now I have 2 Shure SLX4's that work. Should I stay with that? Or is there a recommendation for another system (please feel free to be specific!).

Additionally, when doing the search...do you search "headset" or "lavalier" or is there another term that is more appropriate for theater usage?

And, of course, ultimately, it has to come from an approved vendor (but that's my problem) (ok, all of this is my problem).

Thoughts?

------------------------------
    David Nields
    Theater Director
    Bradenton FL

• 2.  RE: Another wireless mic question!

Posted 09-23-2016 08:39
      |   view attached

You are right about us losing the 600MHz band sometime in the not too distant future so that pretty much leaves us with the 500MHz band, which none of the wireless microphone manufacturers like very much as it means longer antennas on transmitters and increased interference.  However that is the new reality.  

At this stage avoid 2.4GHz systems unless you run out of channels in 500MHz - they are prone to interference from WiFi routers and hotspots.

Since you have the 2 Shure SLX systems I would probably stick with those - they are very reliable, well priced and in most of Florida you should be able to expand to around 20-26 channels in the 500MHz band.

I usually try to avoid mixing brands and even series as much as possible since the spare parts and mic element costs can get out of hand - and you should always have spare mics on hand - lavs, earsets or headsets.  I always have a spare transmitter pack or two as well - allows quick replacement if one goes down during a show ... it also allows you to mic up multiple actors who are not on stage at the same time - tune to the same frequency and turn off the exting actor's pack and turn on the entering actors pack and voila a little adjustment to the levels as necessary and you effectively have another wireless system!

Searching - for the most part you should probably search for "wireless bodypack systems" or "wireless body pack systems" or even "wireless guitar systems".  Because I manufacture microphones for wireless systems, I recommend you pick the transmitter/receivers you want and then select the microphones that best suit your requirements.  For most of us that is probably a mix of the headsets (lightweight dual ear hook style), earsets (fit on one ear) and wig/face/lavalier mics.  NEVER USE A COSTUME MOUNTED LAVALIER IF AT ALL AVOIDABLE - it results in huge changes in volume as the actor turns there head from left to right and back.

The major brands are Shure (BLX, SLX ULXP, QLXD), Sennheiser (XWS, ew100, ew300, ew500) and Audio-Technica (ATW2120, ATW3110 and AT4000 series).  Second string brands - Audix, AKG, Beyer, Bodymics (U400 4 channel in 1u),  MiPro, Samson.  Only if severe budget constraints exist - Audio2000s, Gemini, GTD Audio, Nady, Pyle, VocoPro

We sell most brands listed and we specialize in fully racked up, antenna distributed  pre-assembled ready to use packages - open cases, connect or adjust antennas, connect power, connect to mixer, turn-on and use (see attachment).

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Showtime_Rack_1_front.pdf   1.50 MB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Another wireless mic question!

Posted 09-24-2016 02:22

A common term for searching is: 'headworn mics'.

A good learning / teaching resource is the DPA web site:
    www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/vocals-headworn-vocal-and-speech-mics-on-stageon Stage

Also visit the rest of the 'Mic University' site, too!  Lots of good comparison videos so you can hear the effect of different mic placements and compare them.

Rent / Borrow BEFORE you buy.  See how they work for your circumstances.

Questions to ask:

1.  Warranty:  How long?  What parts and pieces are covered?  What parts and pieces are NOT covered?  How much is the replacement costs for the various parts and pieces?

2.  Is the mic available in various flesh-tone colors?  Better to have a close match than to try to cover it up with make-up.

3.  How water-proof / make-up proof is the product?  What should be used to clean the mic parts?  Remember - anything that goes on someone's head can transfer skin diseases and viruses from spit . . . have proper sanitary procedures in place! (This goes for hand-held mics and intercom headsets, too!)

4.  What adapters / connectors are available to match them to your existing microphone transmitters?  Different transmitters and different microphones require various bias voltages, so not all mics work with all transmitters and produce the same signal level.  Don't be afraid to mix and match brands to get the best solution.  Many microphone manufacturers do not also manufacture wireless transmitters, so they have built models to match-up to the common transmitter brands.

5.  Headset mics and lavaliere mics don't have to be near the cheek.  They work just as well hidden in wigs, in the temple of eyeglasses, under hat brims, and in beards.  As long as they are within about a 4"-6" radius of the mouth, they will be fine.

6.  Keep the mic positioned away from the breath-pop blast (known as 'plosives') and you won't need a foam wind screen (which is really difficult to hide!).

7.  Training is VERY important to the longevity of the mics.  Some schools have the performers and technicians sign responsibility forms so that if they tear-up / abuse the mics they will be charged to replace them.  Headset mics are fragile.  Some more than others, but they are ALL fragile.  Proper handling and storage is essential to the continued functionality of the devices.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems