Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-22-2016 07:38

I'm directing The Diary of Anne Frank this fall.  Question for those who have done this show....did you "Americanize" the names or did you keep them authentic to their German pronunciation?  I've watched numerous video clips to research the pronunciation of names....they all Americanize them.  I would prefer to keep them authentic.  For instance: did you pronounce the Van Daan name as "Van Dan" (Phonetic spelling) or "Vaughn Don"?   Likewise....Anne...did you pronounce it as "Ann" (the way most people speak her name in the title) or the German pronunciation "Anneh"?  Frank....pronounced like the man's name or pronounced "Fronk"?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael

------------------------------
    Michael Rozell
    Producer/Director
    Belle Vernon Area High School
    Belle Vernon, PA

• 2.  RE: The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-22-2016 12:44

I did an authentic pronunciation. My recommendation is to see if any of your kids are fluent in German and have them help the cast with the pronunciation. I've been really lucky with this between kids who speak German at home and foreign exchange students. ;^)

If you can't find any from your department let me know. I have a polyglot in my program and I can get her to record the correct pronunciation and send it to you 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-22-2016 20:29

Michael, I have directed the show twice, to local acclaim, keeping everything authentic. Adds a bit of gravitas and is a teachable moment for performers and audience alike. If you can get your kids to the natl Holocaust Museum in DC, or perhaps have a survivor visit,  or even a rabbi to discuss culture and religion, it will make a huge difference. I can provide some contact info of you need.

Deborah Frauenholz
    Drama Director
    Avonworth High School
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 4.  RE: The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-23-2016 09:44

I agree with the other posters. Keep it authentic. When I did the show last year, I reached out to the Jewish community for help in getting the Hanakkah celebrations, kifa and menora designs, and other details that reveal these people for who they were as correct as possible. They sung the Hebrew songs in Hebrew. German was German, (although there really isn't that much of that). Most of the sound effects and radio broadcasts are available online.

My rationale for this work was: these were real people. They, and all they were, needed to be honored.

You will play to full houses if you do.

My experience.

JIm Gunn
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Madera High School
    Madera CA

• 5.  RE: The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-23-2016 09:52

I directed Anne Frank a few years back and my initial intention was to use the German pronunciation of names.  My mother was born in America of German immigrant parents, so she is fluent and I relied on her and my "so-so" German to make determinations about the pronunciation.  As we rehearsed, however, I found that it created a problem for my cast who, being from north-central New Jersey, had decidedly "East Coast" regional accents. The result was that the actual pronunciations sounded out of place with the rest of the dialogue.  In a perfect world, I would have had the time to work with the cast on smoothing out their regionalisms for the rest of the dialogue, but I didn't have that luxury in our production schedule.  Eventually, we came up with a compromise pronunciation of each name that, if not completely accurate, lent a little authenticity but also didn't call attention to itself.  It worked well.

Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    NJ

• 6.  RE: The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-23-2016 10:43

Haven't done the production (though it's on my radar), and I would want to do 'authentic', though what was shared about the New Jersey mish-mash is a valid point; it could be jarring (at least initially) for an audience to hear the German pronunciation mixed in with the Pennsylvania...though, being English, I can't speak to how well PA blends in with German pronunciation. It might be perfect. :) If you have time, it would be great to smooth out the rest of the accent so that it's an understandable/accessible heavily German influenced-accented production.

Good luck! I think the biggest take-away is that authenticity is a great thing to strive for, but be aware of possible pitfalls and if necessary, compromise where you need to. Such a worthy project regardless of what accents or name pronunciations you end up choosing.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 7.  RE: The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-26-2016 07:43

Thanks to all who replied to my message.  I've decided to go authentic in pronunciations! Although we hail from the Pittsburgh area, my students don't speak "Pittsburghese" (Thank GOD!!! LOL).  We had our read through on Saturday morning.  Prior to the read through we discussed the authentic pronunciations.  They seemed to do well with them....and it blended with the rest of the script.

For those who are interested in doing this show, I've worked so hard with my artistic director to come up with a minimalist set (kinda sorta).  There will be different levels, partial walls, some doors, gables suspended from above....but the back of the set will be a cyc to light with colors and to also display multimedia projections.  We're hiding 3 projectors in the set design and will project the diary entries as she is writing them as well as other historic videos, etc.  This could either be really awesome or a tragedy larger than the story itself LOL.  Stay tuned.....  :) 

Michael Rozell
    Producer/Director
    Belle Vernon, PA

• 8.  RE: The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-26-2016 07:50

Classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIlrNKVzKLU

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 9.  RE: The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-27-2016 07:46

OMG....John Perry....I just spit out my coffee!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!   I totally forgot about that clip!!!  And yet...it is just SO true! :) 

Michael Rozell
    Producer/Director
    Belle Vernon, PA

• 10.  RE: The Diary of Anne Frank

Posted 09-28-2016 07:46

How many people in your cast/audience have never heard a good German accent NOT from <g class="gr_ gr_171 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="171" data-gr-id="171">a nazi characters</g>???    

I would say we sometimes have a moral responsibility to present what our audiences should hear/see.  

Sounds like you are on the right track!  

congrats!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]