Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Stage curtain advice

Posted 09-21-2016 15:53

Hello Everyone-I need some advice-the curtains on our stage-that is the main drape, legs, and travelers are dead hung since we have no fly house and since our scene shop is the size of a postage stamp, with an overhead door leading onto our stage of an equally diminutive size,  we are forced to construct our scenery on  the stage.  This has resulted in making our 20 year old blacks looks like they are 120 years old.  They bear large and small rips, paint smears, and are in generally horrible condition. Some are literally in shreds.   We also have taken them all down over the years for various shows in which they were in the way (which is a lot harder than it sounds-and puts a lot of stress on the fabric. ) Since I can't just fly them up and out of the way when they are not being used, I'm at a loss to know how to protect them during the construction processes we have to do.  I am beginning the Herculean task of securing funding for a full replacement, but don't want to get brand new ones until I can find a way to keep them looking new.  I have been told  by  one company that they sell bags that the curtains can be placed in while they are hanging sort of like a protective wrap.  What I really want to do is rig a pulley system and trip them up and out of the way, but I was told that would leave a very noticeable crease in them.  You all have solved a legion of problems presented in the past and I hope someone has an idea that will keep it from being "curtains" for our curtains!  Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Stage curtain advice

Posted 09-22-2016 07:52

I understand your dilemma. I have been selling and installing curtains for over 20 years.

The Bag is a definite option, also you can make or have curtain wraps made.(curtain wrap is muslin with a board in each end and it ties around the lower portion of your curtain panel.

If you rig a pick up point and raise the curtain you WILL have a crease on the curtain when it is down and over time it will wear away the surface of the curtain.

some questions...

Can the curtain track be extended so the curtains track to the side walls of the space, that would get the curtains out of the way?

Possibly you could have rings sewn into the bottom of the curtain(well sewn in as they will need to take a lot of weight) then when you want the curtains pulled out you connect the rings and attach to your pick up line for the panel. having the rings should eliminate the crease.

Please keep in mind...

the bottom of the curtain can only be pulled up to your highest possible height, the top will remain at current height.

I recommend you have a competent person install this rigging so that all codes and requirements are met. You will also want to create a maintenance and inspection schedule. Please understand when flying items over people you will need to check with your building inspector to see if you are reclassified as an operational stage space and if any additional requirements for fire protection are now required. You, your installer and the school will also need to discuss liability should an accident occur due to this rigging.

You will need to hold training sessions for all persons operating these trips, and document this training 

Please note when replacing curtains:

If you select cotton velour curtains(cheaper) they need to be re-flame treated every 5 years.

If you select Synthetic velour curtains(more expensive) they are inherently flame proofed and do not need re-treatment

Please feel free to call me should you have further questions at 402-905-4953, I would be happy to discuss this with you.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Stage curtain advice

Posted 09-22-2016 08:41

One thing you can do to keep dust off drapes and get them off the floor is to.... Twist the drape until the twist is about six feet high or so, hold the twist with one hand and create a large pocket in the drape above the twist, flip the bottom of the drape in the pocket and it should stay up and off the floor.  Learned this years ago from an older tech and have used it ever since.  Just drop the drape the day before a performance and most of the wrinkles will fall out.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Stage curtain advice

Posted 09-22-2016 10:42

I agree with Michael Johnson. The method of twisting the curtains and folding them into each other keeps them off the floor and helps keep them clean. This works really well for the Legs, and they should be tied up any time that you are not in a performance or rehearsal. 

The Main Curtain and Travelers, however, are far too wide and heavy for that method to apply. Jerry's idea with the Rings would work well, but it involves more labor and cost. I don't know if I have any other ideas for those curtains, though. 

Mike Ritchey
    Technical Director
    Santa Margarita Catholic High School
    Rancho Santa Margarita CA

• 5.  RE: Stage curtain advice

Posted 09-22-2016 17:03

For the Main Drape, one can usually find a "Floor Plate" or "dead hang hook" that the drape can be slung off to with some tie line.   It at lease gathers the bottom of the drape over to the proscenium.  For travelers and other large drapes, a muslin bag can be sewn really quickly with a drawstring-- then, just tie around the drape gathering it up and protecting it from wear.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 6.  RE: Stage curtain advice

Posted 09-23-2016 23:26

Hi Ron

Michael's advice is spot on.  I have been rigging in theatres for 30+ years, and I have been using the "twist and flip" method for about 25 of them.  One addition: Be sure you fold the downstage side into itself so the upstage (ugly) side of the leg is always on the outside.  If your area is particular messy, you can pull some large trash bags over them once they are stored.

For the mains, I recommend wrapping the lower part in a scrap piece of muslin or maybe visqueen (polyethylene), and swagging them slightly into the wing.  I suggest using a wide strip of some type (something like 2" webbing) to attach the wrapped mains to an eye bolt you will need to install into the proscenium wall just offstage of the fire curtain pocket.

At NIU, we are currently displaced to a local middle school while our facility is being renovated, and this is exactly how we take care of the soft goods in the space.  

Hope this helps :-) 

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois