Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  building a prop grand piano

Posted 09-20-2016 21:53

We need to turn a spinet piano into a grand. Has anyone done this before or have any great ideas or contacts. We do need a working piano and have access to the spinet. I found this online for an idea of how to build the structure. Other tips or ideas?

------------------------------
    Cathy Swain-Abrams
    Teacher, Drama Director
    Olentangy Local School District
    Lewis Center OH

• 2.  RE: building a prop grand piano

Posted 09-21-2016 11:37

Hey Cathy,

It's been a while...

I'd totally build from that rough visual plan and put a keyboard in there on a ledge/shelf that you could easily join to the main structure.

(BTW email me with your season so I can get my kids to go a see your shows!)

stowell_dan@dublinschools.net

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 3.  RE: building a prop grand piano

Posted 09-21-2016 12:05

I rebuilt a faux grand piano a number of years ago, and that's pretty much how we did it. This one had a fake keyboard that could be removed and replaced with an electric keyboard.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 4.  RE: building a prop grand piano

Posted 01-19-2020 13:07
    Im looking to do the same thing as you did for a keyboard. Are there any plans for what you have done in your post?

Saundra Woronik
    Salem CT

• 5.  RE: building a prop grand piano

Posted 01-19-2020 14:56
    Hi, Sandra,

Sorry, but I don't have any plans. We just did a fair amount of research into real pianos (including the leg shapes and how they attach) and went from there.

George

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 6.  RE: building a prop grand piano

Posted 09-21-2016 13:58

Look into renting or borrowing 'piano shells.'

Dueling pianist shows that travel or do gigs/events can't haul pianos with them so they have shells (many different sizes) that masque an electric keyboard.

The baby grand shells look like the real thing.

Michael McDonough
    TRW Director of Amateur Licensing
    New York

• 7.  RE: building a prop grand piano

Posted 01-22-2020 12:55
    We are going through a HS construction project right now - and our grand piano is in seriously sad shape and will be destroyed/ discarded... my understanding is that it is beyond repair and tuning... but would make a great shell for an electric keyboard, could be painted, etc.   We could use that wing space for The Wizard of Oz.  It usually serves as our prop table on stage right for most shows. 

I'm in south central PA - I'd have to check with our music department, but last I heard, they were hoping to get rid of it soon! (The wrecking ball is coming at the end of May, one way or another!)

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 8.  RE: building a prop grand piano

Posted 02-29-2020 10:20
    Greetings Ms. Mintzer, I came across a post that you mentioned that you had a grand piano that was going to be destroyed? I have been looking at trying to take the piano and use it as a shell for a digital piano.  Would this be something we could arrange if I came to the HS to pick it up?  Please let me know.  My daughter has been in the theater for many years and is studying Stage Management in Maryland.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  V/r, Eddie (edwin.edick@verizon.net)

Eddie Edick
    Clarksburg MD