Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Selling Program Ads

Posted 09-19-2016 10:41

Our program ad sales have gone down the past couple of years and I was wondering if anyone has a sample script they give to students that you'd be willing to share? 

------------------------------
    Stacey Drenk
    English Teacher/Drama Coach
    Wausau West High School
    Wausau WI

• 2.  RE: Selling Program Ads

Posted 09-19-2016 19:11

I do not rely on students to sell program ads. I think they have enough on their plate and everybody expects the students to sell stuff and fundraise for them.

Instead, I sell ads myself mostly to local theatre companies, other arts organizations, and area college/universitiy programs. I do not raise a ton of money from this but it offsets the cost of printing for the season. And it helps to raise awareness of our program and season in the local and regional arts community.

We typically make between $2000.00 and $2500.00 from the season campaign. An additional $500.00 for more ads exclusively fro the spring musical.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    333 Rampart Avenue,
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

• 3.  RE: Selling Program Ads

Posted 09-20-2016 08:43
      |   view attached

We started doing ad sales due to parent requests for "personal shout-outs" in the program.  Our Ad Sales process has evolved to include both business as well as personal ads.  We start ad sales during rehearsals, months before we even think about ticket sales.

I use Ad Sales as a mini-lesson called the "Business of Show Business."  I start this with my Freshman Intro classes and use "reminder" lessons all through my Advanced Drama Classes.

These include:

- Budgeting

- Spreadsheets

- Public Speaking/How to Present to a Customer

All cast members must sell at least one ad OR have parents volunteer in some way to help with the show.  Many sell ads AND volunteer.  We also have a fun contest where the biggest ad seller wins a $100 gift card.  Often, non-performers (house managers and tech crew) sell ads on a voluntary basis and to earn additional comp tickets to our shows.

As we wrap up ad sales in the weeks prior to the show, I dedicate whole classes to the accounting and management of the ads.  Ads pay for our programs which we have professionally printed with full-color covers and bios of every student (the usually run between 25-30 pages).  In addition, we usually turn a good profit.  As our budgets run in excess of $6000 for our musicals and around $800 for our smaller shows, I've been lucky (so far) to be in the black on our books before we even start ticket sales.

I'm attaching a version of our Advertising Sales Sheet.  One side has all the vital info and the back is ad sizes.  Depending on the show and demand for tickets, we also include one comp for each ad sold.  It's done wonders for both the financial health of our entire Drama program as well as building our visibility in the region.

Good Luck!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

Attachment(s)

pdf
    ad order form musical.pdf   69 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Selling Program Ads

Posted 09-21-2016 08:13

We have a Thespian Troupe council member whose job is publicity. Twice a year they run a Publicity Blitz. This is a Saturday morning where the students are dressed up, paired up and meet for a pep talk and information. Then with season posters, patron & ad forms, and show magnets (with the three shows and dates) in their hands they split into groups to hit area businesses. It shows the theatre company that publicity is everyone's job. There is a prize for the winning pair who brings in the most advertising/patrons for the program.  The students work better in pairs, and are given a script to use. Some businesses are closed on Saturday, so it is up to the council member to work with the Publicity Crew Head for the show to approach them at different times. 

We have had good success with this. Of course, we ask booster parents and cast/crews to assist with bringing in patron/break a legs for the program as well. 

Sorry, I can't seem to attach the script we created here. If interested, email me, and I will share the google document with you.

valerie_farschman@amherstk12.org

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 5.  RE: Selling Program Ads

Posted 09-21-2016 08:42

Thank you everyone for your responses! I appreciate you sharing your ideas.

Stacey Drenk
    English Teacher/Drama Coach
    Wausau West High School
    Wausau WI

• 6.  RE: Selling Program Ads

Posted 09-21-2016 09:29

Hello all,

We do corporate sponsorships. They include the ads, website recognition, curtain speech shout outs, vip tickets, and lobby signage. We sell them as the program but also encourage the students to sell the ads. We have had much success with this approach.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    Jeffersonville IN