Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Racism or not

Posted 09-16-2016 12:31

How do u deal with characters/moments that, in comedy. are defined by some people as racist?  

I don't feel we are being racist by having kids play the parts in a show, but some people seem to be uncomfortable with racial/language elements of a show.

I'll give you a particularly up-to-the-moment real example:  The Character Bun Foo and Ching Ho in Thoroughly Modern Millie.  They are supposed to be Chinese and are mostly comic foils, but they do have some deeper moments.  And some people interpret the dialects, plot connections, and costumes as racist.   I even have a student right now who is thinking of pulling out of MIllie b/c she feels like it will be offensive. 

There are characters who do racist things or say racist things out loud on stage and we can use those moments/characters as learning moments, but how can I explain this...

help...

------------------------------
    [Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 2.  RE: Racism or not

Posted 09-17-2016 07:40

This is a tough one because merely acknowledging that a joke is racist doesn't undo the hurt/damage it can cause. I understand you may be limited in cuts and changes you can make with the publisher. My immediate thought is a program note about the history of racist Asian caricatures and how they have been used over time to objectify Asian women and strip Asian men of their power and desirability. That's at least a start: something big and honest that the audience can see.

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    Calera AL

• 3.  RE: Racism or not

Posted 09-19-2016 16:13

Hi Dan,

This is an incredibly sensitive subject, and I applaud your bringing it to the forum.  I feel strongly that, as white-identified teachers, it is our responsibility to prioritize the experience and points of view of our students of color.  And when you say that some people find the depiction of Asians to be racist to the point that they may withdraw from the play, I'm reading into that statement that those people are possibly your Asian students (or students from other marginalized communities).  If that's the case, you may have to ask some hard questions of yourself and your students, and be willing to hear the answers:  Is the learning moment provided by a racist depiction or statement the actual intent of the script (like Lindner in Raisin in the Sun), or is it really about mining the comic potential of a racist stereotype (which some argue is the case in Millie)?  Do your students of color feel that audiences are going to get something important from this depiction, or is it a laugh at their expense and in which they are being asked to take part?  Does it create an internal conflict for students of color in which they feel that they are appropriating or misrepresenting themselves and their culture?

Finally, rather than explaining to your students why this content is acceptable, you may need to be ready to listen to them explain why, in fact, it is not.

I hope this is helpful.  Let us all know how the conversation develops.

Bryce Cahn

Theatre Arts Teacher

Tompkins Square Middle School
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Racism or not

Posted 09-19-2016 16:32

I agree that conversations with those in the group being depicted are important.  I recently had an Asian school parent come to me in regards to our spring Fairytale in which a reference to a character not liking Asian food was mentioned.  This offended her.  She, in fact, misunderstood the line but the conversation was important in reminding me that I often don't even recognize the issue.  I must say I have often wondered about the Klan being made light of in The Foreigner, which is often high school material.  I am in Atlanta ,which is sadly a huge sex-trafficing city.  When I was looking at Milliejr I had several theatre friends ask me about the sex trafficing in Millie.  I had not even thought about it that way.  I have always seen theatre as an important way to 'bring up the subject.'  I try not to skirt away from the issues but I think writing about it in your director notes and creating platforms for discussion are marvelous ways to address sensitive issues.  

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga