Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  10 Minute Monologues

Posted 09-07-2016 22:21

Hi fellow educators, I have a student who is looking for a 10-minute monologue or play that specifically has some sort of relation to The Great War. I've done some preliminary searches but have had no luck. Up to 150 words may be changed or omitted. Any leads as to such a specific monologue or where I can look for them?

THANKS!

-Frankie

------------------------------
    Frankie Marrone
    Artistic Director
    Anaheim CA

• 2.  RE: 10 Minute Monologues

Posted 09-08-2016 07:28
    My first thought was Denis O'Hare's "An Illiad." It's a one man show that is (obviously) a retelling of the Illiad but since it's on the war theme, it may be that there is a section that can work for your student.

A search for one-man shows about WWI turned up "Smallwar" by a Belgian playwright - it sounds *really* interesting and got great reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/BigmoutH-SmallWaR-Plays-Valentjin-Dhaenens/dp/1783191694

good luck!

• 3.  RE: 10 Minute Monologues

Posted 09-08-2016 14:16
    Is your student allowed to use novels? There are many set in that time period, and quite a few written in first person. Adapting a novel might work nicely!

• 4.  RE: 10 Minute Monologues

Posted 09-09-2016 11:17

Thanks you both! That's very helpful :)

Frankie Marrone
    Artistic Director
    Anaheim CA

• 5.  RE: 10 Minute Monologues

Posted 09-10-2016 16:13

Is the student looking for competition material for Speech and Debate interpretation events?  The 10-minute time limit sounds like it.  In that case, I would steer her toward novels and other prose works.  She'll score better if she plays more than one character, and mixing in some narration from the text is OK.  

I had a student a few years ago who kept looking for a funny play to excerpt for humorous interp.  I introduced her to David Sedaris' work, and she did very well. 

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC