Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Copyright Question

Posted 09-06-2016 22:10

Does anyone have any insight on copyright laws for using non-original music. My students would like to write scenes or a even longer play using 80s pop songs (sung by the students). We have paid the arranging rights for the songs via our show choir. The question is can we pay for the performance rights and then use those songs in the context of an original play or scenes? I guess I am asking about creating an episode of Glee for our stage!

------------------------------
    Don Griffiths
    Director of Theatre
    Donelson Christian Academy

• 2.  RE: Copyright Question

Posted 09-07-2016 11:26

I believe that if you don't change the songs themselves, then the performance royalties that you're paying BMI will cover it. 

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 3.  RE: Copyright Question

Posted 09-08-2016 09:07

Because you are mixing these songs with scripted dialog, i.e. a musical, just obtaining a show choir type of performance right is not enough.  You must obtain a Grand Rights creation type of license from each publisher of each song.  The publishers of each song must approve of your use of the song for your specific musical play.  I sorry this will stifle your kid's creativity, but it is the law.  

Mark Brymer
    Principle
    Jukebox Musicals LLC
    Dallas TX

• 4.  RE: Copyright Question

Posted 09-07-2016 11:31

Unless the rights are re-secured by the artist, copyright on music only lasts 26 years, that's why ten years ago, we had 70s music in our elevators, and now we are serenaded by the 80s when walking through Walmart. So: if it's older than 26, there are no issues.

JIm Gunn
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Madera High School
    Madera CA

• 5.  RE: Copyright Question

Posted 09-08-2016 11:26

I've never heard that music copyrights only last 26 years; my understanding is that music is protected in the same way that any other copyrightable creation is: life + 70 years (well, since 1977--before then, other rules apply). This website from Stanford helps with the basics:

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/faqs/copyright-basics/

As for elevator music, you can bet that Walmart (and other stores) have a blanket license for that type of use, which is a different animal from live stage use.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-licensing6.htm

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 6.  RE: Copyright Question

Posted 09-07-2016 11:32
    I am pretty sure the answer to your question is "no."

Interpolating the live performance of songs still under copyright protection into even an original play requires special permission of the copyright holder. Securing the performing rights to a song for show choir does not cover their use in a dramatic work.

Even recorded songs under copyright protection require special permission if they are being used when lights are "up." A blanket license with BMI and ASCAP (etc) will generally cover the use of music as pre-show and post-show as long as the stage lights are "down."

I suppose there might be some wiggle room for a classroom exercise but as soon as you are performing this play for any audience, paid or unpaid, you would definitely need to have special permission.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 7.  RE: Copyright Question

Posted 09-08-2016 10:13

So I got emails from both ASCAP and BMI saying in essence there is no license for performance rights at the K-12 level. The indication was as long as I am doing this on school grounds with students there are no fees. This would not however, extend to videos etc.

Don Griffiths
    Director of Theatre
    Donelson Christian Academy

• 8.  RE: Copyright Question

Posted 09-19-2016 16:16

I talked to someone at BCI and he told me the same thing. Does that apply to any songs or only songs that BCI has the rights to?  

Therese Barrett