Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Flashing lights

Posted 09-06-2016 11:31

How would you design a prop so that it flashed a single color momentarily? I am thinking of the apple in The Giver.  Thanks. 

------------------------------
    Karen Feldhaus
    Owensboro KY

• 2.  RE: Flashing lights

Posted 09-07-2016 11:42

We did The Giver this past January.  One of my students designed and built an LED light on a push-button switch that he inserted into a hollow plastic, frosted ball that he doctored up to look like the rest of the apples.  As the boys were tossing the "apple" one would switch it on as he threw it and the other would switch it off when he caught it.  It was very effective, but the actors had to be sure-handed because it broke easily if it hit the floor.

Tim Buchheit
    St. Francis Borgia Regional High School
    Washington MO

• 3.  RE: Flashing lights

Posted 09-07-2016 13:03

I have not produced The Giver, but was considering the show, so thought about the effects.  One idea I had for the apple flashing red in midair was a concealed, well focused red light fixture.  It would be aimed up, so the the beam did not hit the set, but went up into the rafters overhead somewhere.  If everything is done correctly (I think) the audience should not see the red light since it is not hitting the set anywhere.  Then the actors throw the apple through the beam.  When it hits the beam, it flashes red.

Break a leg!

Josh

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School
    Monument, CO

• 4.  RE: Flashing lights

Posted 09-07-2016 17:35
    Try staging under a "special" light with a red gel. Focus tightly, and voila. We did a similar effect for Midas' daughter (turning to gold) in Metamorphoses.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Flashing lights

Posted 09-07-2016 18:53

You might look at these. They might work with the remote control.

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Floating-Swimming-Waterproof-Landscape/dp/B01J9W0UZY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1473288691&sr=8-5&keywords=LED+Pool+lights+balls

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Flashing lights

Posted 09-09-2016 14:34

I have a few ideas on incorporating LEDs into a prop. These dots are activated by twisting, so they could rest in the base of a prop. You could also order an EL wire kit and put a Push and HOLD button on it so there is no need to turn on and off. You could get a red kit that will put a red glow inside the apple and then construct a translucent apple with mod podge (the kind that dries rock hard) and tissue and a clear plastic ornament shell.

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    Birmingham AL