Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Bring it On Cheerleading Mats?

Posted 09-03-2016 20:09

We are doing Bring it On this spring. Cheerleaders always have the large mats... Cheer parents have expressed a need for us to have these too. Has anyone done this show? Did you use mats in the competition scenes? They take a while to roll out- did you leave them the whole show? Where did you get the mat? I imagine they are expensive and I'm worried about buoyancy if we had them out the whole show. Thoughts? 

Any other things you learned doing this show that I should be thinking about? 

------------------------------
    Brooke Jackson

• 2.  RE: Bring it On Cheerleading Mats?

Posted 09-08-2016 14:09

I did a Google image search for this show, and it looks like it ranges from a bare stage floor, to small gym mats, to large mats taped down and covering the entire stage. Does your school (or a neighboring one) have a cheerleading team? If so, can you borrow theirs or ask where they have found the best deals? Or if they happen to need them too, maybe work together to fundraise? 

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: Bring it On Cheerleading Mats?

Posted 09-09-2016 09:21
    Good Morning,
    I am not only the Director of our fall play and spring musical, but the head cheer coach. I have looked into doing "Bring It On," but unfortunately our community is very conservative and are not as open minded as I would like for them to be. Sooo... because of one of the characters we would not be able to consider it. BUT... from a cheer coach stand point there are many illegal stunts and pyramids in the broadway version I had seen and you would probably need to look into your states rules and regulations regarding what you can do legally (if you have an experienced cheer coach at your school she/he should know the rules well enough to answer your questions and/or be able to suggest stunts that would work best for theatre students playing cheerleaders). For example, in Missouri our MSHSAA rules state: No toss stunts (basket toss for example) can be performed in an indoor surface without the use of a mat and in a toss stunt no props can be in the flyers hands. My first thought when looking into this show was IF and when they would put more restraints into the safety/state rules. I think because the show is so new over the past few years for High School's to perform that eventually there might be more safety precautions required such as mandating physicals and following your state cheerleading rules just to keep your students safe. I would also highly encourage you to see if you can build a relationship with your cheer coach and see if they would help teach the actors important technique that is required when executing stunts, so that you don't lose any of your actors to injuries. If you can I would try to keep the mats out the entire show- since they build behind the acting portions of the show maybe putting them just upstage where you wouldn't necessarily have to mat the entire stage, but just when there is pyramids incorporated in behind the leads?

Samantha Roop, Ed.S.
    DHS Theatre Department 
    ITS Troupe Director #5087 
    Play & Musical Director
    Varsity Football & Wrestling Head Cheer Coach 
    Spirit Club Sponsor
    Office Phone: 636.586.1050 Ext. 26
    Twitter: @DHSTheatreDept, @DHS_Cheer_, & @DHSDSquad
    De Soto High School.815 Amvets Drive. De Soto, MO 63020

"The mission of the De Soto 73 School District is to ensure learning, growth, and success for all students in a safe environment."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged information and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to who it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.