Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Headset recommendations

Posted 03-15-2014 09:29
    Hello- I have been enjoying the forum! I need to purchase new stage manager's wireless headset communication devices for our theater company and was wondering if any of you have specific recommendations for them? The prices I've been quoted are quite high and I want to make sure whatever we do purchase comes recommended. Thank you! ------------------------------------------- Dawn DeMaio -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE:Headset recommendations

Posted 03-16-2014 15:07
    I would also love to get some input.  Our last show did well and we looking at several possibilities for our "wish list." This is one of them.

-------------------------------------------
    Helen Dixon

• 3.  RE:Headset recommendations

Posted 03-16-2014 15:30
    I quoted an HME system and almost had a sticker shock coronary.  They were awesome headsets and could take a beating, but were out of my price range.  We ended up with an Eartec system.  It was 1/2 the cost and seems to be working well.  It is still brand new, so I don't know exactly how it will hold up over time.

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 4.  RE:Headset recommendations

Posted 03-17-2014 12:01

We bought some used ones from a professional theater that was closing down and we've had good luck with them.  We have a radio tower literally in our back yard and a McDonald's drive through a stone's throw away, so we deal with a lot of interference from those sources.  We still get it, but the headsets beat walkie talkies any day.
    When I took my students to see Spiderman last year, we got to have a workshop with the stage managers for that show.  One of my kids asked about headphone interference, and the SM said that it's a big problem in New York, too.  There are just too many people chatting on the airways!
    Katherine Miller

• 5.  RE:Headset recommendations

Posted 03-16-2014 20:55
    We have a set of "Comstar" intercoms by Eartec.  This is less expensive than Telex and Clearcom, and probably of lower quality, but very workable.  They are designed for outdoor sports so they're reasonably rugged.  Ours is a hybrid system with two wired headsets in the booth and four wireless on stage- cost about $3,000.  Eartec can configure the system to meet your needs.  They offer high quality (expensive) headsets and several cheaper versions.  Definitely avoid the cheaper headsets- they are the first element to break down.  Also avoid the cheaper systems offered by Eartec.  They don't work well in a theatre.  We have been pleased with our Comstar system and plan to purchase another for our TV station.  Contact the company and ask for a quotation.  They gave us a good price for our first system.  They also have been very supportive with warranty repairs.
    www.eartec.com

Richard Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Bonny Eagle High School
    Standish, ME

• 6.  RE:Headset recommendations

Posted 03-17-2014 07:45
    I've use ClearCom and Telex systems. Telex seed to have some electronic problems. Wasn't really kid proof. Clear com has been good. Earphone pads falling apart after a few years but otherwise good. ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE:Headset recommendations

Posted 03-21-2014 16:18
    Thank you for all of the helpful information! ------------------------------------------- Dawn DeMaio -------------------------------------------