Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  3-person scenes

Posted 09-02-2016 23:01
    Hi everyone - I am teaching an acting class with 3 female students (numbers are small this year!) Anyone have suggestions for good good trio scenes we can work on in class? Any suggestions for 3-person plays that could be fun for this group to read and act from?

Thanks for your help!

Krista Cowan
    Director of Theater and Film
    The Madeira School
    McLean, VA

• 2.  RE: 3-person scenes

Posted 09-03-2016 10:40
    Oh!!! The Memory of Water by Shelagh Stephanson!! Three sisters who are just great characters! Funny and sad!
    Best,
    Elle 

• 3.  RE: 3-person scenes

Posted 09-03-2016 11:42

The scripts I mention here have been some of my favorites for 3 females: ELEEMOSYNARY by Lee Blessing(relationships of 3 generations); Three Tall Women by Edward Albee (relationships with 3 women and how they deal with old age and death); THE CEMETARY CLUB (comedy--3 older ladies who meet up at the CEMETARY); SHOOTING STARS (story about a women's basketball team--has scenes with 2 and 3 scenes); LEDGE, LEDGER, and LEGEND (play for 3 males--but fun to read)

What fun to work with the small class; the possibilities of projects are vast. 

------------------------------
    Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com

• 4.  RE: 3-person scenes

Posted 09-03-2016 23:17

My first thoughts were "Crimes of the Heart" by Beth Henley and "On The Verge" by Eric Overmyer. They both offer lots of opportunities for 3 women. 

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 5.  RE: 3-person scenes

Posted 09-04-2016 19:17

There is a great one act for 3 females called "Broken Hearts."  Can't remember the author's name.

Sarah Serbus
    Theatre Director
    Union R-XI School District
    Washington MO

• 6.  RE: 3-person scenes

Posted 09-04-2016 19:36

Here are 3 that I have done and they are all challenging and have "real" characters for women.

Vanities by Jack Heifne follows 3 girls from high school to college to careers;The Octette Bridge Club  by P.J. Barry. it is about 8 sisters who meet on  Friday nights  to play bridge and gossip -also goes from youth to old age; Waiting for the Parade by John Murrell’s play- five women meet to work for the war effort while their men are away; lots of scenes with 3 women (various ages) set in Canada during World War II. 

Kathy Cannnarozzi Harris
    Theater Director - Mission Viejo HS
    VAPA Coordinator K-12
    Saddleback Valley USD
    Mission Viejo, CA

• 7.  RE: 3-person scenes

Posted 09-04-2016 13:40

I have a number of 10-minute length plays that have three female casts.  My students have loved working with them.  I'll just direct you to my website and if you're interested in any of them, let me know!  http://arassler.wix.com/playwright

Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 8.  RE: 3-person scenes

Posted 09-06-2016 10:18

Crimes of the Heart is good.

There's also 'Art' by Yasmeena Reza, if you flip the genders, which back in the day never used to be a problem for folks, but these days...!

Also there's a cool 10 minute play 'Blue Sky' that's part of Lindsey Price's '10 Minute Play Series: Girls and Guys'. The piece is for three 'either', with three youths on the streets, with one deciding that they've had enough. Pretty cool piece.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL