Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Changing Production Choice

Posted 08-27-2016 08:56
    Has anyone had to change production choice after auditions did not result in the needed cast for the original choice?  Recommendations for handling?  I am in a small school and youth are stretched for time, or so they believe or their parents believe.  Our rehearsals are in the evenings (music has priority before school, athletic practices after school, drama in evening).  After two days of auditions I am not confident we will be able to successfully do the production originally chosen, and I do not want to have a poorly-done production.  Any suggestions?

Jackie Stevens
    BCLUW High School
    Conrad, IA

• 2.  RE: Changing Production Choice

Posted 08-28-2016 06:37

I have changed shows after a show had been cast and some had started to memorize. Two of the main characters had situations that kept them from continuing. As these were seniors, I presented three options which fit the group, pros and cons for each and the challenges each would be presented by doing each show. I rarely audition for a specific show, but have many in mind, and then announce the show with the cast list, choosing the show that best fits those who auditioned. 

You might end up with some fallout if you change the show now, depending on what it was, but I would with the explanation that this new show will show case student talent and give them new challenges that you realized the other show probably wouldn't do as well.

It can be diificult to change midstream, but if it's the right decision, everyone will be on board in a week or two and by show time, they will be into it. And if you need help quickly find a show, remember you have a ton of people who have read a ton of scripts right here who can help.

Holly Thompson

------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 3.  RE: Changing Production Choice

Posted 08-28-2016 08:53

Hi Jackie,

I have had to change productions three times, once for numbers, once for inability to fill roles appropriately, and once because we lost a key cast member. On two of the three occasions, I had let the kids know that if we couldn't cast appropriately, we were already entertaining possibilities. In the third case, we were in production and had to change the show. In each instance, I pulled the entire group together, explained the situation that warranted the change (in the case of the one that had already been cast, it was tricky since an issue with a student precipitated the change), and pitched the new production with a guarantee that, while the experience would be different than expected, the show would be worth their time and effort. In all three cases, the students, most of them flexible from the outset, really loved the shows. Make sure that you're honest with the kids. Let them know that this is a big change for you too, that you'd done the prep work for the first production and were looking forward to working on it. But stuff happens, and one of the best skills that theatre can teach is to put disappointments and setbacks behind you and move on. If you commit to it, they will.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 4.  RE: Changing Production Choice

Posted 08-28-2016 09:29

If you are not able to switch shows:

Since we start advertising our productions before school starts, I am not flexible to change shows if the numbers do not show up. If we don't get enough students, I call the group together and explain the situation.  I have been fortunate: the kids go out and start recruiting.  Luckily most of the students here believe in doing what is best for the group, and often put personal desires aside to help out the company, thus an assistant director has been known to step in as an actor for the show as well. Tech kids have stepped in and discovered they are good actors. There is the added issue that students have to pay a "$400 pay to participate fee" here for all extra curricular activities (paid one time per year), so any new recruits have to be willing to pay that. Often, the students look for kids who are already paying the fee for another activity. It is tough and worrisome, but so far (knock on wood) we have been able to fill every role. 

I have the most trouble in the fall, when marching band is everyday after school, because theatre is in the evening (like your program). Students doing both (students in theatre are usually also in band and choir) have to be really good at time management in order to be in marching band, have a part in a play, and still get homework done, so that usually knocks out freshman.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do, the key is to be open and frank with your students. If they feel they have a part in that decision, they will have ownership in the production. 

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 5.  RE: Changing Production Choice

Posted 08-28-2016 18:59

​Last spring, I auditioned a play that had 4 boys, but I only had 1 boy audition.  I was not too keen on using girls in the roles because the play was a serious drama and there was a romance between 2 of the characters. I went for it and the audience was not distracted by girls playing the boys. Not an easy place to be in. Good luck.  

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    392-1543

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right!"   Henry Ford

• 6.  RE: Changing Production Choice

Posted 08-29-2016 07:00

I actually changed shows while we were several weeks into rehearsal. I had no choice. My cast had jumped ship and it was only the second year of our department's existence. I ended up writing our show and saved the department. It's to date one of my favorite productions. 

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 7.  RE: Changing Production Choice

Posted 08-30-2016 07:29

I had to do it last year.  After auditions the lead actor decided to do a sport instead!!!  I did find a show that used everyone else and invited a couple of other kids in to fill smaller roles.  It worked out great in the long run.  It helped that it was my spring show and we cast for both in the fall.  We were able to tour the show so a great memory for all. 

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 8.  RE: Changing Production Choice

Posted 08-29-2016 14:38

I had a show cancelled by administration three weeks before opening. Rather than go completely flat, I pulled out an easy show, recast, rescheduled and had a good production. The show and life goes on. 

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 9.  RE: Changing Production Choice

Posted 08-30-2016 08:16

This is not uncommon.  I am a strong advocate for "tailoring" a show to the skills of my students.  Of course, we always want to find material that will move them out of their comfort zones and force them to adapt, however you are very smart trying to manage time and motivational factors in your kids.

For years, I would do "generic" auditions: I would have the students do sides from one or perhaps two of the plays I was considering.  Often, I have them improv in the auditions to determine general skills, character work, and stage presence.  Then I would decide which show and then cast it.

Yes, this can take more time.  But the extra day or two in rehearsals is always preferable to agonizing for weeks on a show that isn't working.

I'd recommend moving forward with the auditions as you have.  Once you determine what the new, more appropriate play is, have another round of "call-backs."  Maybe you need to explain the process, maybe not.  Sometimes the kids having the information is beneficial, sometimes it's a hinderance and/or inconsequential.  Regardless, by tailoring your casting to the skills of your kids, you are doing your entire program a great service.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN