Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Insight appreciated

Posted 08-26-2016 08:13

Okay, I am having the hardest picking my spring play.  My issues are similar to many of you. I have a large group of students from which to cast. I generally like to have a show of at least 20. I am looking for a unit set. I want quality literature with characters who have depth speak with interesting language. My past 24 years I have had great fun with so many wonderful scripts, but I really am stumped this year. Originally I was looking for a comedy, then a murder mystery...but most of what I have read is not quality language or character development, too few characters, too many male characters, too over the top,filled with Disneyesque TV teen-speak...sentiments that many of you have expressed over the years.

The past 3 years I produced:

Radium Girls

Going Out With A Bang! (an original script written by my students)

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Do any of you have experience with either of these two titles?

The Paper Chase

The Third Wave

------------------------------
    John Rutherford
    Rochester Hills MI

• 2.  RE: Insight appreciated

Posted 08-27-2016 17:37
    Look at HEAVEN CAN WAIT, by Harry Segall.
    Also, METAMORPHOSIS and THE ODYSSEY, both by Mary Zimmerman.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Insight appreciated

Posted 08-28-2016 22:03

Are you willing to gender neutral or have girls play male roles?  Ken Ludwig's "Treasure Island" could work for you. 

Anne Bertram's "The Good Fight" which is based on women's suffrage activists in England are being arrested and tortured. Their leader, Emmeline Pankhurst, is wanted by the police. Determined to shield her, some of her followers make a surprising choice: they learn jujitsu. Based on historical events. Includes fighting roles for women.

Arlene Hutton's "Letters to Sala" which is based on the true story of a woman who survived Nazi Germany.

Lillian Hellman's "Children's Hour" is a drama set in an all-girls boarding school run by two women. An angry student runs away from the school and to avoid being sent back she tells her grandmother that the two headmistresses are having a lesbian affair. 

Have you ever considered doing a gender-swapped show?  How about gender swapping "Robin Hood" or "Three Musketeers"?  It could also be an interesting exploration.  

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 4.  RE: Insight appreciated

Posted 08-29-2016 07:46

"The Women of Lockerbie" may be a good choice, too. Playwright Deborah Brevoort has told me she enjoys seeing productions with an expanded chorus, as many schools have done. 

And there is a shorter version of "Letters to Sala" in the works. Recommended in this thread, it also has an expandable or shrinkable cast, by doubling or adding an ensemble.

Arlene Hutton
    The Barrow Group
    New York, NY