Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  SB 916 TADA!

Posted 08-24-2016 18:55

Jim Palmarini suggested that I post this in Community for a wide network of Theatre educators who live in CA and to Theatre educators around the world who might know voting age CA Theatre supporters. 

I believe in our profession, and I believe in a separate discrete credential for our profession. 

SB 916 TADA! Theatre and Dance Act passed both the Senate and Assembly and is headed for the CA Governor's desk for signature. this bill establish 2 separate credentials: one for Theatre and one for Dance. If it passes, a teacher will not need an English credential to teach Theatre, or a teacher will not be required to get a PE credential to teach dance. Passage will mean that we have equity to our Music and Arts educators.

This has been a 50 year journey to achieve CA TEACHERS ASSOCIATION'S  (CTA) endorsement. Part of our bill requirement is that those teaching now under an English or PE credential are grandfathered in without additional course work. This is to protect our teachers in the field. 

This week is the time to send an email, letter, and fax to our Governor to educate him. Contact Gai.jones@sbcglobal for a template and other information.

We need letters from as many CA voters as we can. SO if you can vote in CA, or if you know a CA voter, please have them contact Gai Jones.

------------------------------
    Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    Co-Founder/Faculty Member Summer Theatre Teacher Bootcamp
    Inspirational Speaker for PD, Student Leaderships, Conferences
    RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com
    BREAK A LEG, A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES: ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS www.gaijones.com https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator

• 2.  RE: SB 916 TADA!

Posted 08-25-2016 14:48

FYI. 

If you email the letter it needs to be embedded in the body of the email. The governor rejects attachments. 

Hope every CA voter reading this post will help us out. I'd love to finally teach with a theatre credential before I retire!

Krista Carson Elhai
    Theatre Director
    Claremont HS
    An International Baccalaureate World School
    Claremont CA