Open Forum

View Only

Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

• 1.  Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-14-2014 08:45
    Hi everyone!

I was just wondering what I should expect to be paid for extra curricular play/musical direction.  I direct 2 shows a year for my school, at this point it is on a volunteer basis.  If I have the discussion with my boss about getting paid, what are your thoughts about what I should ask for on a per show basis?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Jarad Benn
    Theater Teacher, Center for Performing and Fine Arts
    Pa Leadership Charter School

• 2.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-15-2014 07:36
    As a past music teacher you know that professional musicians do not play gigs for free, and no one would think of asking them to do so. But with theatre personnel ask away! I don't wish to be negative but once you do a job for free it is very hard to ask an administration to pay you for the same job. This is the age old problem of every young drama teacher, the kids deserve it so I'll do it for free, now years have passed an I should be paid for this massive amount of work, and you find even though the administration loves what you are doing for the kids they are reluctant to pay you for it. Good luck, I hope your administration is more forward looking! ------------------------------------------- Phillip Rayher Director, Theatre Dept. Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-15-2014 09:05
    At my high school I have a "coach's" contract. At the beginning of each year the Athletic Director brings me a contract to sign and I get the same stipend as an athletic coach. At our system performing arts school, the teachers also receive a stipend for directing and after-school work.

John Perry
    Drama/ Humanities Instructor
    Atherton High School

• 4.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-16-2014 10:44

I am fortunate to have a very supportive administration who was willing to give me a production class. The class is taught after the end of the school day (much like many schools who offer a 0 period before school for band classes). While the hours are still extensive, I am compensated as part of my teaching duties. Students are also compensated for their many hours with a grade. Attendance is supported, as it is a class. A little sanity saver compensation as well, especially if you teach english classes or other traditonal course.

Problems with the idea (all worth the effort to find solutions)
    -competition with sports (already a problem with extra curricular programs)
    -what to do with your students if your show ends before the semester 
    -starting an hour later (oh wait I like that one)
    -staff meetings

If they will not compensate with extra duty pay you might make a proposal to create a Theartre Production class.

Good Luck :)

Jeannie Brzovic

• 5.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-16-2014 20:47
    In our district, as I imagine is true in most, stipends for extra-curricular advisers (coaches, club and class advisers, theatre director, etc.) are part of the negotiated agreement between the school district and the teachers' union.  To add a stipended position you need approval from the school board AND need to be included into a request from the teachers' union through contract negotiations.  This can be the hardest part, even if the union supports what you do, because contract negotiations can be so difficult.

Richard Osann
    Theatre Teacher

• 6.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-17-2014 07:37
    Sadly running extra-curricular so for free is not unheard of. In our district the drama sponsor gets paid on the same scale and through the same system as athletic coaches. It is a job for whic one must apply. Granted the stipend is laughable. The contract calls for 2+ productions a year. That leVes it pretty wide open. As far as working for free, I have always been asked to run the booth equipment for one event or another. It has taken nearly 8 years but we finally have something in place to cover these kids of things. It's still not perfect. It require communication, which is where we fail in my building a all the time. ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-16-2014 15:26
    Quite a Catch-22.
    We are set up with an extra-curricular contract.  The head varsity football coach makes 25% (I believe) of the beginning teacher base.  As "Drama Director" I make 17%.  My Technical Director 14%, Costuming 10%, Lighting/Sound Designer 3%.  There is no requirement for number of shows.  (We do quite a few however.)  Your situation may be unique, but as you discuss this with the principal, try discussing it in terms of other paid extra-curricular positions.
    Best of luck!

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 8.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-15-2014 13:25
    Thanks for your replies. I am looking for actual per-show numbers. My circumstances are unique and it was/is not an issue of "working for free". It's an issue of understanding how theatre in my school works. And the shows have a direct practical application for what the students are learning in classes. Quite frankly, as a professional actor who has lived all over the country, I've done more free theatre than paid. It's more a state of the art rather than the educational system. And now, in my second full year, having established a reputation for quality, it is time to ask to be paid for my time. The conversation with my boss was a good one, and he agreed with my stance. The question posed in the post has to do with actual numbers. What the going rate actually is on average will help me when my boss and I begin talking about actual numbers. ------------------------------------------- Jarad Benn Theater Teacher, Center for Performing and Fine Arts Pa Leadership Charter School -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-15-2014 15:25
    We had several different contracts for our district at one time - 2% of base pay for a talent show director, 4% for a theatre production, 7% for a musical production.  Each of these went up every year the same person filled the position (I'm not sure how much of a percentage).  

Kristie Bach

• 10.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-15-2014 21:53

In my district, High School Drama Teachers get a coaching stipend for the year's activities (2 Full-length productions, a week long Haunted House, a children's play, some smaller coffehouse one-night shows, and field trips to Thespian and other events). The stipend is a little over $3000 a year. It is only one step down from that of the Varsity Football coach, but he can coach another sport in the off-season and get a second stipend. The Dance instructor and I have both worked out the rate of pay at between 17 and 25 cents an hour... 
    Susan Davis
    Teacher
    Napa Valley Unified School District

• 11.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-16-2014 12:02
    Since teacher salaries vary so much from state to state, the best rule of thumb for your circumstances would be to look at what the coaches are paid at your school. Directing two plays is the equivalent of coaching two seasons of a sport. That's what I would ask for if I were in your position. Ask what the varsity football coach gets as a stipend, and ask for that for every play. If your administration balks, you might need to show them your rehearsal schedule so they understand how many hours you are putting in.

It's a place to start. Sometimes these negotiations can go on for years.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA

• 12.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-17-2014 07:52
    I would still look at what coaches get per season in your district. I imagine the process audition to closing takes a similar amount of time and likewise a similar an Mount of time daily after school. Hats a good place to get your numbers. ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck -------------------------------------------

• 13.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-16-2014 08:03
    $2500 for 2 productions ------------------------------------------- Stephanie Bastin Friendship Christian School -------------------------------------------

• 14.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-16-2014 15:06
    It would be a good idea for you to document some facts. How many hours? how many students are served? What kind of impact does the program have on the district's public relations? Armed with this info, request a reevaluation of all extra-duty pay in your district. They will discover that you work longer hours and manage more students than most coaches. It then becomes difficult for them to justify not paying you. ------------------------------------------- Lana Hagan Department of Theatre/Dance Southern Illinois Univ. Edwardsville -------------------------------------------

• 15.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-17-2014 08:58
    I am very fortunate.  My rate is part of our teaching master agreement.  I get paid $3600 for a musical, $1800 for the one-act, and $2600 for the 3-act.  Our athletic coaches get paid substantially more.  However, this is high school.  When I started our middle school program I got paid $500 for 3 shows.

Susan Nelson

• 16.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-17-2014 13:48
    I am not fortunate in my ditrict (only with the musical). I get paid $5800 for the Musical Director position. However, our Fall Play, Spring Play, and Thespians are NOT paid. We fought with our BOE for 3 years to get at least something else paid by them, with no luck. Parents are starting to make phone calls about Thespians, so hopefully they fix that by September (at least!)

Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education

• 17.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-21-2014 11:53
    I am not sure there is such a thing as "standard".  In our system the rate is set by the master agreement and right now is just under $3,100.00 for directing two shows.  There is an additional stipend that schools use in different ways.  Most often it is used to pay someone to be a technical director, but principals can work with their theatre teacher to figure out how to best use it.  Additional people that we need to work on the show either end up splitting the stipend with us or we pay for them out of the money we raise through ticket sales.   It is very interesting to read about how this is handled across the country. 

Steven Fleming
    Howard County Public School System

• 18.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-21-2014 14:02
    I get paid $2,200 per year. I would only be required to produce one play but I choose to do two full-length main-stage plays, one musical, two one-act play festivals and two monologue nights.  I have the option of pushing for more, and some day I might, but I also have a base pay of $70,500 a year at a public high school. 

Beverly Quinn
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Serrano High School

• 19.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-23-2014 21:24
    4 years before I retired, the administration asked me to contact teachers in the St. Louis area, and find out what other theatre teachers were making.  After spending a LOT of time on the phone, there was no big surprise, we ranked 29th out of 31 St. Louis area school districts.  

To get us up to mean level, we were put on the same scale as the coaches.  Musical Director made the same as a "major sport" coach, Football excluded.  EG: 
    Head Wrestling or Basketball coach stipend = Musical Director stipend  
    Asst Football, Wrestling or Basketball coach stipend = Play Director or Musical TD stipend
    "minor" (Golf, Field Hockey, etc) sport head coach stipend = Play TD, Music Director.Vocal Asst "Minor" sport coach stipend = Choreographer, Vocal Coach, Musical Conductor $

That was when I retired in 2001, so I'm sure it has gone up considerably.  I'm not sure if the terms "major" and "minor" sports are even used any more, but the idea was to get stipends placed on the same scale with coaching stipends.

My extra-duty stipends went from around $4,200 / year to over $12,000 / year.  This was a middle class, largely blue collar school district. 

When you go to your state Thespian Festival, that would be a great time to swap stipend scales, as long as your district won't mind.  I know it's public record, but sometimes districts get a little sensitive when it comes to volunteering salaries and stipends.  Maybe your State Thespian Directors could send out an email blast so everyone could come to State with the info, or set up a list-serve for this purpose.

Bob Fowler

• 20.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-31-2014 13:36
    How would one go about making the change to stipends?

We receive a jokingly small approximately $400 for 2 shows per year.  About 1/3 of that is for a non-musical and the rest for a musical, which I then pay from my departmental budget an honorarium to my M.D. and any designers that help.

And yes, I'm handling both the technical and acting component of both shows.

It works out to somewhere around 0.03/hr...

Erik Morris
    Artistic & Technical Director

• 21.  RE:Standard rate for extra curricular directing?

Posted 03-24-2014 09:35
    Often this is a union negotiated stipend. Contact your union to see if they can help you. I asked about it 12 years ago and they asked me to make a presentation to the union bargaining committee. I compared athletic coaching stipends to other activities stipends and then compared the number of hours spent on "coaching" these different activities. I used public record for the stipend amounts and interviewed coaches of different activities at a variety of schools within and without our district and then used the mean. I created a graph that overlapped the number of hours, number of students served, and amount of the stipend in dollars. This data was powered to see. The theatre stipend went from $1000 a year for everything to $4500 per musical and $3500 for plays plus a stipend for an assistant, a music director, a tech director, and a choreographer. When it came down to it they asked me what I wanted and I said, "I want to be paid at least as much as the assistant bowling coach." That was a thought provoking statement yet humor statement that allowed the union to battle for me with the district.

Leslie Van Leishout
    Theater Education Coordinator
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville