Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Full-length comedy

Posted 08-22-2016 15:17
    I have lost many of my skilled actors and would like to do a great comedy for this fall.  I would like a script with about 5-6 males and 5-6 females. Does anyone have suggestions?  

--
    Neal Luker
    Drama
    Fulton High School
    1207 12th Street
    Fulton, IL  61252
    815-589-3511 Ext. 226

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
    This message contains confidential information intended only for use of the person named above and may contain communication protected by the Illinois School Student Records Act.  If you have received this message in error, you are hereby notified that dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message is prohibited, and you are requested to notify the sender of the message immediately at the email address listed above and delete this message and copies of backups thereof.

• 2.  RE: Full-length comedy

Posted 08-23-2016 05:40

How about The Odd Couple.  (Male version and female version.)  Create one set and alternate nights.  It is FUNNY!

------------------------------
    Kim Florio
    Countryside High School
    Clearwater FL
    Floriok@pcsb.org

• 3.  RE: Full-length comedy

Posted 08-23-2016 09:19

Neal,

A fun one is Just Another  High School Play  or Just Another High School Play Eldridge Plays & Musicals

Histage remove preview
    Eldridge Plays & Musicals
    Eldridge Plays & Musicals offers theatre plays and musicals for all occasions, featuring full-length plays, one act plays, melodramas, holiday themes, children's and full-length musicals, skits and theater collections.
    View this on Histage >

This is a great piece for several reasons.

• Because the premise is that no one is ready for opening night it covers mistakes and young actors well.
    • Because it covers several theatrical genres it is a great teaching tool
    • The casting is extremely flexible
    • Students felt it was the funniest show we ever did and have requested to do it again
    • It is a low overhead play (general costs) 
    Sammie Real
    Fayetteville, GA
    srealiii@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Full-length comedy

Posted 08-23-2016 15:01

Fools by Neil Simon is so much fun!  Cast of 10, if I remember correctly.  It's a great vehicle for teaching double-takes, deadpan, etc.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Full-length comedy

Posted 08-24-2016 23:32

Over the summer I discovered the wonderful David Ives' adaptation of Mark Twain's 'Is He Dead?' 

Very farcical, very funny, witty, madcap, clean (enough) and I think (if memory serves) would have the right number of roles. I think its available form Playscripts? 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 6.  RE: Full-length comedy

Posted 08-25-2016 11:51

Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 by John Bishop is a good one

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Full-length comedy

Posted 08-25-2016 11:59
    I directed Is He Dead in community theatre. A wonderful farce demanding outstanding physical comedians.  Eight males, three females.  Lead role is exhausting if played at a rapid farce pace.  One actor plays four roles. Chicago, German, Irish accents required of 3 actors.  Major scene change from Act One to Act Two.
    Not trying to discourage you.  It was some of the most fun I've ever had as a director.

• 8.  RE: Full-length comedy

Posted 08-26-2016 08:49

Play On! and Sing On! by Rick Abbot are both hilarious. Museum by Tina Howe.  The Dining Room by A. R. Gurney, to name a few.

Molly Cornwell
    Hathaway Brown School
    Shaker Heights OH