Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pantomime

Posted 08-20-2016 23:28

I feel like my lessons on pantomime always fall short. Does anyone have a lesson or activity they love to help teach or explore pantomime 

------------------------------
    Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 2.  RE: Pantomime

Posted 08-21-2016 14:26

Have you looked at lessons on the BYU Theatre Education Curriculum Database?  They are a couple units on there that have tons of ideas that may work for you or your students.  I have a pantomime unit I have used as well if you need it, though some of my ideas were used by my students in their units on the database.

Pantomime Scenes by Dana Fleming | BYU Theatre Education Database

Byu remove preview

Pantomime Scenes by Dana Fleming | BYU Theatre Education Database
    TH:Cr3.1: Rehearse Anchor Standard: Refine new work through play, drama processes and theatre experiences using critical analysis and experimentation.
    View this on Byu >

Non-Verbal Communication Pantomime Scenes

Byu remove preview

Non-Verbal Communication Pantomime Scenes
    a. Practice and revise a devised or scripted drama/theatre work using theatrical staging conventions. b. Explore physical, vocal and physiological choices to develop a performance that is believable, authentic, and relevant to a drama/theatre work. c. Refine technical design choices to support the story and emotional impact of a devised or scripted drama/ theatre work.
    View this on Byu >
    Shawnda Moss
    Associate Lecturer
    BYU Theatre & Media Arts
    Springville UT

• 3.  RE: Pantomime

Posted 08-21-2016 15:44
    I like to show the students excerpts from Bill Irwin and David Shiner productions (you can find some on YouTube). We then talk about how they make the pantomime work - what is clear? How was it executed? How does emotion play into it? We work first on expressing emotions with the face. Now add the body to that facial expression. Now dial it up to 10.

We then work on the three things I think are important to pantomime - size, shape, and weight (and a strong belief in the imaginary). We start in a circle and we all hold an imaginary ping pong ball. Feel the weight, how big, close your hand (can you?), bounce it, toss it up. Now add the action and emotion of tossing it really high, it disappears, it reappears and you have to catch it before it falls into the lava, etc. Now it's a golf ball, etc. When we get to tennis ball, everyone gets a tennis ball. They bounce it, they toss it, they pass it to a partner, etc. Now I take away the actual tennis balls and they do the same thing, pantomiming the tennis ball. We try volleyball, bowling ball, beach ball, balloons with a partner (keep it in the air, hit it with a different body part), etc. It's fun and active - switch partners, etc.

Next - students have "Magic Clay." They must mold it into an item and use the item, without speaking. Once they have finished creating and using the item, students may guess what it is. I side coach to get the students to be more specific and active with their choices. If anyone is having trouble, if the item is in the room, I ask them to use the actual item, then put it down and pantomime it. Muscle memory works.

Exercise
    With a partner, students create a pantomimed activity. They may use furniture, but no props. There is no talking, whispering, mouthing, etc. There must be a beginning, middle, and end. They may use music to enhance what they are doing (this gets them thinking about sound design). I give them notes and suggestions along the way as they rehearse in class. They then present to the class for self-evaluation and peer review.

Games
    Pantomime Recreation
    4 students leave the room. They choose who will be 1, 2, 3 and 4. One student creates a pantomimed activity, with the class suggesting things along the way. After all is decided (about 1 to 2 minutes MAXIMUM), student 1 comes in. Student 1 watches the pantomime, knowing that she will recreate EXACTLY what she sees for student 2. Student 2 comes in and student 1 does the same pantomime she just saw. Student 2 performs the same pantomime for student 3. Student 3 performs the same pantomime for student 4. Student 4 performs, then must guess what she was doing. Thens student 3 guesses, student 2 guesses, student 1 guesses. Finally the original student performs the original pantomime so students 2, 3, and 4 can see it. I side coach so the student remembers everything.

Galactic Kitchen
    Stage left is the door to enter. Stage right is the door to exit. One at a time, students enter the "Galactic Kitchen", perform one simple, single task, and exit. So, if student one establishes the door to open a certain way, it must always open that way. Did she close it or is it still open? Where was the door knob? The task may be as simple as getting a soda from the refrigerator. Whatever is established is true for the rest of the class. Each student, entering one at a time, may establish ONE new thing. This is all pantomimed - no talking. It's great for observation as well as pantomime. When I have students try a second time, they may add words, a reason to be here, a relationship to the space, etc.

The most important thing is a belief in what you are doing. If you see it, feel it, react honestly to it, we (the audience) will as well.

Bes wishes,
    Rob

• 4.  RE: Pantomime

Posted 08-21-2016 22:39
    Gai Jones' book, RAISING THE CURTAIN, has a superb pantomime unit. I use a number of activities to great success.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Pantomime

Posted 08-22-2016 00:29

For my pantomime unit, we go progessively from working as a large group to working in smaller groups. 

Warmups / General Activities:

*What Are You Doing? (Instructions here - Improv Encyclopedia)

*Yes, Lets (Instructions here - Improv Encyclopedia) I have everyone do the activity in a circle and then the next person claps when it's time to change.

*Start in a large circle and individually have everyone pantomime different types of balls. (I ususally do basketball, bowling ball, baseball and red rubber bouncy ball.) We go through each one - holding it, bouncing it, etc. They have a blast bouncing the rubber bouncy ball around and "chasing it". Then they play catch with a partner with the different "balls". I joke that this is one of the most "drama-y" things that we do and just to go with it and its fun. 

After we've done a few activites, I move into pantomime projects in a group. 

Pantomime Projects:

*Moving a TV: You have just recieved a HUGE television that's been delivered to your house. You need to open the box and take out the TV, set it up, decide that it is in the wrong place and move it 2 times. It's up to them to decide who they are, what their relationship is, why they move it, etc and they have to communicate all of this. Common pitfalls - not working together to move the TV, walking through the box, not remembering to plug it in or unplug it, etc. I make them practice this for a while, and then I tell them they have to time it and it has to be at least 3 minutes long. 

*Grandma's Attic: You are visiting and decide to go up into Grandma's attic. When you arrive, you find a large trunk. You manage to open the lock on the trunk and inside you find a piece of jewlery, an item of clothing, a large jar with something inside of it, and a photo album. You explore all of these items and then put it all away and leave. Again, they need to decide who they are, the relationship and reason for being in the attic, etc. Common pitfalls - No dead grandma hidden in the trunk, grandma wasn't into drugs or leather, etc. This one I make them make it 4 minutes long. 5 if I have a smaller class. Once, I had a group go through the trunk and have this whole fight with a wizard, saved Narnia, and defeated Voldemort. It was awesome!

Things I've found that have helped is forcing them to time it to make things longer, remind them that "if you see it, we see it" and just general enthusiam about it. This unit tends to be pretty fun for me. Hope this helps!

Kandace
    Drama Teacher
    WA

• 6.  RE: Pantomime

Posted 08-22-2016 11:37

Sarah,

I teach mime at the beginning of my spring semester of Drama class when we explore accessing character through physical means. It is always my favorite section! What I like to tell my students is that we don't learn mime for mime's sake, rather it is another tool they can use in order to tell the story. I studied mime at The Celebration Barn Theater in Maine, and they used to have a printout of a white-faced mime (like a Bip character) on their theater wall that had the caption, "Surgeon General Warning: Whiteface may be hazardous to your health." I love this! So, I start out with many of the exercises explained here along with different kinds of rolls on the floor: Dead man's roll, crescent, ooze - This helps them expand their range of movement and start to use their whole body in challenging physical ways. If interested, you can find these exercises in Tony Montanaro's book. I also teach them different kinds of animal walks that utilize arm, leg,foot and core muscle articulation. I warm up their hands (much like a magician might) by articulating each digit and flexing those muscles. Mime illusions are based on fixed point using tension and release, so we do several kinds of fixed point exercises. After teaching them some basic fixed point, wall illusions, I teach them walks, and then have them explore story with a simple task. This task will have obstacles along the way that escalate in difficulty of overcoming them.These ultimately become full-fledged mime stories. I encourage them to use sound and text if they need. I find that if they try to do the whole mime story in silence, then they end up using "talking" gestures instead of using full physical expression.  This work is just another way to achieve going after an objective, goal, desire (Stanislavski stuff here) but in a full body expressive way. I find this section quite successful and it reinforces the detailed technique work we did in the fall semester. 

Hope this wasn't too confusing. I would be glad to go over any part of this in more detail with you if you need.

Good Luck!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 7.  RE: Pantomime

Posted 08-23-2016 14:32

Thank you all for these great ideas!  I so appreciate you taking the time to respond.  These are really helpful.

Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 8.  RE: Pantomime

Posted 08-24-2016 06:31
    I have a specificity game that I love. I write down two similar but distinct options on a card and have two students come up and act them out in front of the class. After 15 seconds I get the students to guess what each is doing.

Some examples:
    Eating a bowl of soup vs eating a bowl of cereal
    Writing with a pen vs writing with a pencil
    Washing a big dog vs washing a little dog
    Reading a textbook vs reading a magazine

Sent from my iPad

• 9.  RE: Pantomime

Posted 08-23-2016 15:56

Hi--

I teach middle school theatre.  

One of our favorite pantomime games is "Gum."

I will start on the stage with a "piece of gum."  I unwrap it, chew it up, do something with it (like turn it into a jump rope, stretch it from the ceiling to floor, etc.), then leave it on the stage (usually in a trash can with a lid).  The kiddo who comes after me has to pick the gum up (or "put gloves on first"), do something with it, and leave it on the stage for the next kiddo.  

We talk about facial expressions, big movements, that gum is sticky and stretchy and can turn into things in this game.  It's a lot of fun and one of the first things I do with 6th graders, many with little to no theatre experience.  

Mandy O'Neil
    Theatre Teacher
    Jefferson Middle School
    Champaign, Illinois