Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Small Acting Roster

Posted 08-18-2016 10:08

For the first time in 17 years I have extremely small rosters for both my Intro to Acting classes.  FOUR in one class and FIVE in the other, when I usually have at least 20.  Obviously the dynamics are quite different and the notion of Open Scenes is challenging.  Anyone out there have some exercises/ideas for really small classes?  Some of the students have had the class before, and none are freshmen BUT I know that I am going to have to shake up what I usually teach.  As I wrote to our Dean of Academics and Principal yesterday: My differentiated Hamlet unit will be challenged, as there are more that die in the play than I have in the class.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks!!!

------------------------------
    Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA #fftfellow
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 2.  RE: Small Acting Roster

Posted 08-18-2016 14:04

The abridged versions of Shakespeare (I think there are 4...?) through Playscripts are fun, challenging, and, most importantly, for 4 actors (at least Midsummer was). 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Small Acting Roster

Posted 08-19-2016 08:01

My 8th grade theatre classes are small, so I am in the same boat. Games that work with a large group don't go so well with a small one.

An impromptu thing that worked really well.... Yesterday I had them bring in an object that defined them, explained who they were, or that represented something important to them. My very shy girl brought her ukelele and played us some tunes, which REALLY impressed my more outgoing students. We had lots of photos, and lots of personal memories shared. I've never done with a class before and I think it went a long way to bond us as a group and earn some trust. 

Theatrefolk has some great short plays for two people Ten / Two by Lindsay Price - Theatrefolk. They are short and cover a variety of topics. I assign roles for the first round, rehearse for a couple of days and then perform. The kids are always drawn to certain roles, so we reassign roles in the same scenes and do it all again, with different "takes" on the same characters.

Shuddersome, also from Theatrefolk, can be done with a small group as well. We did it as a readers theatre and combined roles. 

My group of 4 last spring got along really well, and ended up collaborating on a script which they then performed. 

Best of luck!

Theatrefolk remove preview
    Ten / Two by Lindsay Price - Theatrefolk
    Ten plays for two actors. The plays can be performed individually or all together for a full evening of theatre. Excellent for the classroom or competition.. Read up to 90% of this play for free!
    View this on Theatrefolk >
    Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL