Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  She Kills Monsters

Posted 08-12-2016 07:10

Has anyone produced this play? Did you use the high-school version or the full version? Any tips on the special effects?

The script looks interesting and it uses female actors in lead roles and in leadership roles.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: She Kills Monsters

Posted 08-13-2016 09:00

It's been on my shortlist but I wanted to find the right costume designer for it. University of Houston did it at the end of last spring and I had a chance to see it. I don't know if it was the university or high school version, I'm not aware that there were two versions. It matched my memory of my reading. They used single point/pendulum style flying (which I'm sure has a technical name) and made no attempt to hide any aspect of it for the audience. The topics are certainly on target for any student audience (diversity & inclusion) and the production made me cry more than when I read the script (OK, maybe not quite as much as when I read the Bridge to Terabithia but still… )  Please do it!

Jerf

John (Jerf) Friedenberg
    Director Of Theatre
    Wake Forest University Dept of Theatre & Dance
    Winston-salem NC

• 3.  RE: She Kills Monsters

Posted 08-13-2016 09:34
    I am going into auditions for this play next week.
    I will be using the "young adventurers" edition. It's the same play with the gratuitous swearing taken out.
    Since it deals with bullying, especially the bullying of gay teenagers, I am partnering with the GSA at our school.
    I have discovered that there are lots of adults at my school (including my principal) who played D&D when they were younger.
    This is going to be great.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 4.  RE: She Kills Monsters

Posted 08-13-2016 15:05

I did the show last fall, and it's one of the most rewarding and enjoyable shows I've been involved with. I am teaching in a very conservative community, and I wrote to Qui Nguyen about changes I wanted to make. He sent me a third version of the script, which is very different than the other two. All the characters are in high school, the themes are the same, but it plays more directly to the high school audience. We hired a fight choreographer, which I would recommend, it added a great deal to the authenticity of the fight scenes. I really like the dialogue and the fact that there are so many female leads and supporting characters. I rented the heads for the Tiamat battle at the end, the rest of the D&D monsters I pieced together from some Halloween costumes on Amazon, and LARP weapons and armor. With the foam swords, I didn't need an additional insurance rider on the fight choreography. Awesome Show!

Steve Skelcey
    Liberty High School
    Colorado Springs CO

• 5.  RE: She Kills Monsters

Posted 08-14-2016 14:41

OK, there seems to be three editions: The "Young Adventurers Edition", the "adult" edition, and a third edition that's more conservative.

Is the only difference between the YEA and adult editions the language?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: She Kills Monsters

Posted 08-15-2016 10:02

Hi John,

I can confirm that there are only two editions that you can license from us at Samuel French. The YAE edition adapts the language so that it is suitable for young audiences. If you need any more information, our terrific licensing team would be delighted to discuss this with you!

Best,

Lawrence Haynes
    Marketing Associate: Musicals
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: She Kills Monsters

Posted 08-15-2016 10:24

Well, there you go! Straight from the horse's mouth!  THANKS!

I'll be in touch soon. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY