Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Big Fish

Posted 08-11-2016 13:12

Hello,

The music director at my school and I are strongly looking at Big Fish for our musical this year.  Has anyone directed this show and have any comments, positive or cautionary, about it?  I don't think our audience is very familiar with it, but we really like the music and the storyline.  I look forward to any responses.

Thank you,

Ken Robinson

------------------------------
    Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 2.  RE: Big Fish

Posted 08-12-2016 06:58

Hi,

We did the show last Spring and the students (and directors) enjoyed it immensely. No cautions as such but it does move through time frequently (Edward is in present day and at the change of a light cue is now in the past). Perhaps not difficult for the cast but may be difficult for the audience to follow. 

Best Wishes,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 3.  RE: Big Fish

Posted 08-13-2016 09:46

Yes! You need an incredibly dynamic actor for Edward. I adore that show! I desperately want to do that show but haven't had the actor/singer! You might also want to look at projections for the show- we used them for Mary Poppins due to the huge set and magical scenery. They made everything easier and they were beautiful. It made kids very interested in the show since it had a  cartoon mixed with real people feel- so it could open up another audience to you! 

Brooke Jackson

• 4.  RE: Big Fish

Posted 08-14-2016 18:34

I directed Big Fish a couple of years ago.  It is a great show.  You need some killer tenors to play both father and son.  The mother is mezzo (amazing song in the second act for her).  The witch has great number in the first act. There is room for a very large chorus if you want to expand.  Good characters, heart felt moments.  I have never had an audience be so moved and so emotional as when watching this performance.  Music is a little tricky.  Lots of costumes and the set locations move rapidly from place to place.  We used a stationary structure with large short throw projector. Beautiful look.  Check out our web-site for pictures: poteetpirateplayers.weebly.com

Break a leg!

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 5.  RE: Big Fish

Posted 08-16-2016 11:57

We started rehearsal for Big Fish yesterday!

Agreed on the need for a very dynamic Edward.  I am lucky in that we have a very large and very talented senior class, so we have tons of experience going into this show.  We are doing the show with a cast of 35, so there is definitely room for a large ensemble.

Something that we didn't realize until way late in the game - Josephine actually does sing.  It's not on the OBC recording but she has a short solo when they do the ultrasound.  I thought we'd be able to cast a non-singing female in that role but alas, it was not to be.

There are some VERY tight harmonies - Little Lambs from Alabama, Time Stops, Daffodils...so the more experienced your singers are, the better.

Also, the tap dancing.  My kids were adamant - they wanted to do the tap dancing in Red White and True.  None of them have ever tap danced before.  So we're in the process of doing tap dance boot camp.  Six hours a day, all week.  It's hard.  Really, really hard.  But they're picking it up rather quickly and I know they'll work their tails off to make it work.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 6.  RE: Big Fish

Posted 08-16-2016 23:10

We did it last spring and it was a big hit! Most of our student body had not heard of it either & that did impact ticket sales, but after opening night word spread quickly that it was a great show & sales picked up. However, one advantage of that is that there is no way to really compare it to past shows or other schools, so the nay-sayers were at a minimum.

One small controversy I had to deal with was parents that disapproved of Will & Josephine having a baby before they were married & I had to change a bit of language to appease my very conservative, religious community.

We had a cast of 50, so there are lots of possible cast expansions, like we had 12 witches & 24 USO dancers. One challenge was that the leads are male & most HS programs are (as is mine) are loaded with girls. We resolved in a few ways. 1. Expand the cast - we cast 9 lambs - 3 different ones each night. On the night they weren't lambs, they were ensemble. 2. Get creative with the ensemble - circus, Ashton, U of A, etc are all areas to be able to add individual characters with staging, costuming & relationships. For example, we had a bearded lady that had a crush on Edward & kept trying to get his attention during circus number. 3. We focused on dance quite a bit. It's a big dance show, so we hired a great choreographer & kids got to learn clogging, tap, ballroom & western swing. 

It's a great show & I highly recommend it. People who had seen the movie said the musical was actually easier to follow & understand because we focused on the relationships- father/son, husband/wife, man/friendships/ society. Not a dry eye in the house at curtain. One email I received from a teacher after opening night said "It was a visual dream. There was so much going on that I never knew where to look & I didn't want to miss a thing. Every scene took my breath away & I never wanted it to end." Break legs!

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 7.  RE: Big Fish

Posted 08-25-2016 14:36

Jeana, do you have any of your costumes and are you interested in selling any of them?  Feel free to email me - Lsteenson@rsd7.net

Thanks!

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR