Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Perfect Show

Posted 08-09-2016 10:32
    Good Afternoon,
    I'm having a hard time nailing down the perfect show that I feel will be the BEST choice for my seniors that will be leaving. I have an incredible senior class this year and I'm struggling with showcasing my top actors (but there are so many) or going with an ensemble piece to spread the roles more evenly. I have 5-6 solid guys who all are leading material and 3 girls who are extremely solid. I always have a good turn out for auditions so it won't be hard filling additional roles, but I would really like to showcase the 5-6 males & 3 females mentioned. I prefer cast sizes of 11-18... I will be 8.5 months pregnant during our fall show and currently our auditorium is being built, so I lean towards unit/simple sets because of our limited time using the gym stage (sharing with sports teams) and I also don't want to take on too much with being so far along in my pregnancy while being a one person department. I also have a fairly conservative community and we had a very good response with shows like The Curious Savage, however had some controversy with Almost, Maine (They Fell). A show I have found reading through the boards is Acts of God, however I have never watched the production or known anyone who has directed it, but it would showcase multiple people. Would open any suggestions or more feedback from those who have directed Acts of God.

Thank you!

Samantha Roop
    --

"The mission of the De Soto 73 School District is to ensure learning,
    growth, and success for all students in a safe environment."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please
    immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail
    transmission may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged
    information and may be subject to protection under the law, including the
    Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or the Health
    Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information is
    intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to who it is
    intended even if addressed incorrectly.

• 2.  RE: Perfect Show

Posted 08-09-2016 10:51

Once again I'll recommend The Birds by Don Zolidis

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Perfect Show

Posted 08-10-2016 10:25

Hi Samantha!

The Male/Female breakdown sounds perfect for most Moliere casts. (Moliere was writing for an ensemble with a similar balance.) Most of his plays have one dominant role that Moliere, himself, played, and significant roles for another 5 men and 3 women. The total cast size is usually 14-17, but there are smaller cast one-acts as well. 

Some of the titles that I've seen done very well with high school groups include "The Misanthrope," "The Learned Ladies," "The Imaginary Invalid" and "Tartuffe". 

I've written adaptations of about 17 of these plays, with further details on my site, Moliere-in-English.com. 

Moliere-in-english remove preview
    Molière, Moliere
    All Website Content © Timothy Mooney | Timothy Mooney Repertory Theatre | The View from Here | Molière YouTube Channel
    View this on Moliere-in-english >

Tim Mooney
    Prospect Heights IL

• 4.  RE: Perfect Show

Posted 08-10-2016 08:02
    Samantha--
    I've done Acts of God and my kids loved it and found it a challenge. What questions can I answer? I know some of the description of spinning and music can seem a little different, but it really works. The playwright is also very accessible. He actually added a line or two to make the show relevant to us. Please, feel free to pick my brain.

Holy Thompson
    Worthington Kilbourne High School
    Worthington, Ohio

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.--Georgia O'Keefe
    Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Perfect Show

Posted 08-15-2016 14:32
    Holly,
    May I have your email? I tried to message you directly, however it wouldn't work.
    Thanks!
    Samantha Roop, Ed.S.
    DHS Theatre Department 
    ITS Troupe Director #5087 
    Play & Musical Director
    Varsity Football & Wrestling Head Cheer Coach 
    Spirit Club Sponsor
    Office Phone: 636.586.1050 Ext. 26
    Twitter: @DHSTheatreDept, @DHS_Cheer_, & @DHSDSquad
    De Soto High School.815 Amvets Drive. De Soto, MO 63020

"The mission of the De Soto 73 School District is to ensure learning, growth, and success for all students in a safe environment."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged information and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to who it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.

• 6.  RE: Perfect Show

Posted 08-15-2016 16:31

If you're up for a classical piece I'd use "Such Stuff As Dreams Are Made On: A Shakespeare Collage by Anne Sandone

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Perfect Show

Posted 08-17-2016 09:54

To showcase your males, 'The Crucible' could work very well, if you have others in addition to your central set of performers. 'Black Comedy' also has excellent comic roles available for 4 males, 3 females, 2 cameos...

12 Angry Jurors might be worth a look, too.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL