Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-12-2014 15:52
    Hello everyone!

I am on a scheduling committee at my HS, as we begin to discuss options for how the building schedule is set.  Kids are currently selecting courses for next year -so we are starting to gather information to implement during 2015-2016.  We currently operate on a 4x4 block schedule - where classes run for a 90 day semester for 88 minutes.

Teachers have three classes daily, and then one block is for their planning period.  However, in light of needing more time for tutoring within the school day, some "homeroom" time (which ends up being like a study hall, two days per week).   They are considering adding a 5th period, as well as any other possibilities -  WHAT IS THE IDEAL HIGH SCHOOL SCHEDULE?

I teach Spanish by day, and do theatre as an extra-curricular - but I hope to have my Theatre Arts class reinstated next year... time will tell.  If you could take the time to share your daily time schedule with me - that would be very helpful!    My principal does not want to "reinvent the wheel" - but he is willing to consider some non-traditional options... 

Do you have a block schedule? Year long classes?  Combination?
    How long are classes each day?
           (We need to meet a 120 hour requirement for each course)
    Do you have some type of "club/homeroom/tutoring" time built into the school day?
    How long do students have to walk to their next class? (Our building is huge)
    Is there day to day consistency?
    How does your schedule impact pacing of courses?
    For AP courses (and other high stakes tests), is there enough instructional time?

If you have a link to your school's website where I can find some information to share, or if you can quickly jot a few notes to respond to these questions, I'd appreciate your help - whether you're in PA like me, or not.  I would also be happy to compile and share the results...

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Melissa Mintzer
    Penn Manor HS - Troupe #274
    Millersville, PA

• 2.  RE:HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-12-2014 17:51
    Hello,
    I know how you feel.  In a four year span of time, our school once went through three types of schedules!  It was a crazy time.  I can tell you that for us, trimesters were a huge disaster, so if they discuss those...run!  I have tried to answer your questions below.  The best of luck!!

Do you have a block schedule? We have an alternating A/B schedule
    Year long classes?  8 year-long courses - 4 every other day

How long are classes each day? 120 minutes per class

Do you have some type of "club/homeroom/tutoring" time built into the school day? We have a Career and College Readiness period each day - math/reading - 30 minutes.
    How long do students have to walk to their next class? 5 minutes.  We have three stories!

How does your schedule impact pacing of courses? Works very well for all academic and elective coures.
    For AP courses (and other high stakes tests), is there enough instructional time? Yes!  As they are yearlong courses, the time is plentiful.

We are very fortunate because our administration schedules AP courses first and fine arts classes second.  This usually makes it easy for students to take both AP and fine arts classes.

Hope this was helpful!  Good luck!
    Carolyn

Carolyn Greer

• 3.  RE:HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-13-2014 07:23
    I am also on a 4 x 4 and don't particularly care for it. Our Band and Chorus teachers put up a major fight due to the fact that students practicing music lost skills in the half a year they were not in class and were able to get a modified A-B schedule all year long for their classes. They did this by finding a gym teacher willing to offset the rest of those classes. We also have AP classes that run all year. 4 x 4 was implemented 4 years ago to improve our State Test Scores and AYP: Students who failed a state exam or failed a core class in the fall semester could then have their schedule rearranged and retake the class in the spring. So while I understand the reasoning, it causes all of the elective classes to suffer. I know that our language programs are also currently fighting to have their classes extended to a full year. I have worked in schools with 8 bells, 5, and A day B day. I personally liked this schedule the most: 8 classes monday including homeroom, and then the same 4 classes tuesday/ thursday and the same 4 classes wednesday/ friday all year long. They created some intro level classes that only lasted a semester during 2nd and 3rd periods so students would have the same class everyday. It was designed so students could sample all of the elective choices in their first two years of school and then spend 2 years in the elective area they might want to dedicate their time to. If they were the kind of student who needed a lot of remediation one of those "everyday" periods would be a study hall.

That's my two cents.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Theatre Teacher
    New Kent County Public Schools

• 4.  RE:HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-14-2014 10:54
    Gaston Co. Schools in NC has been on the block schedule for almost twenty years.  As a theatre teacher l love it!  Ninety minutes is a workable amount of time to teach a lesson, do a rehearsal, work on scenery, do in class performances.  We have travelled  to nearby elementary schools, done a short performance, and returned in a class period.  Could not do that in a fifty minute class.  I also teach creative writing and have no problem filling the time between instruction, student writing and sharing of stories, typing stories in the computer lab, etc.  We have an "advisory" (homeroom) period for thirty minutes once every three weeks.   It shortens our first  and second period classes and comes between the two.  During this time we hand out information on things like ACT, SAT, opportunities for students, distribute report cards, etc.  The only thing I miss about the shorter year long classes is getting to see my students mature and grow over the span of an entire school year rather than one semester.   Personally, I think the block schedule is great for fine arts classes, but I understand that some academic classes would a prefer shorter, year-long schedule.

Janice Harris
    Teacher
    Gaston County Schools

• 5.  RE:HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-15-2014 09:37
    I am at a small (less than 400 students) private middle school, and we do a year-round rotating eight-block schedule. 70 minute classes, 35 minute lunches, 7 minutes passing, and a "FLEX" period every day that can be a club, advisory, study hall, or recess period. If you're interested, PM me your e mail and I can send you a PDF of the chart. It's not a perfect schedule, but it's got enough going for it that we keep coming back to it ye year after year. :) ------------------------------------------- Theresa Weiler -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE:HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-15-2014 13:12
    At Los Altos High School in Northern California, we have a modified block schedule. On Wednesday we have even class periods (0, 2, 4, 6) for 90 minutes each and Thursday we have the odd class periods. This is great for drama classes as it allows time to cover a lot of material, with ample time for rehearsals and/or performances. Mondays and Fridays are all classes 1-7 at 50 minutes each, and every Tuesday we have 45-minute classes with a built-in 30 minute tutorial/advisory period. I like seeing all my classes 4 days/week, and the tutorial allows students the chance to come in for extra help. We have been on this schedule for over 10 years and the teachers and students really like it. ------------------------------------------- Nancy Moran Drama Instructor -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE:HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-13-2014 10:24
    Hi Melissa,

Our high school operates on a block A/B schedule with classes meeting every other day for 95 minutes.  There are some semester classes (electives, PE, etc) but all core and AP classes are year long, as are performance based classes like band, orchestra, choir, and our competition drama team.  There are two AP classes that are "double-blocked," meaning that they meet every day all year for 95 minutes a day.  Our schedule looks like this almost every day:

A or B 1 8:00 - 9:35
    Break 9:35 - 9:45
    A or B 2 9:50 - 11:25 (includes 5 minutes for announcements)
    A or B 3 11:30 - 1:05
    Lunch 1:05 - 1:35
    A or B 4 1:40 - 3:15

On Thursdays we have an abbreviated schedule for chapel/assemblies.  Classes are 15 minutes shorter on those days with chapel falling after 2nd period.  If students need tutoring or additional study time they sign up for a study hall as one of their eight total class periods.  A full time teacher will have 3 classes per day with one planning period. 

As an AP Music Theory teacher, I love this schedule.  It gives me plenty of time in class to get through my lesson plans and give students more time to get homework done before the next class.

Good luck as you work toward the perfect schedule!

Kelly Goley
    Charlotte Christian School
    Fine Arts Coordinator

• 8.  RE:HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-13-2014 11:53
    I went to a HS on the schedule you are currently in and it was frustrating as I found it difficult with electives (I wanted to fit both choir and theatre into my schedule and with quarters this was difficult).

I have taught in both 8 classes a day for approx. 50 minutes and now we are currently on a rotating block.  We have "gold" and "maroon" days with 90 minute classes and 5 minute passing periods.  Our campus has three buildings and tardies are minimal except after lunch.  The teachers teach three classes a day and have one plan period each day.

I personally teach theatre full time and LOVE our schedule.  Teaching in 50 minutes was too much of a whirlwind and everyday with 4 classes a day would be a nightmare for my students and the subject.  90 minutes every other day gives us an opportunity to do more than one activity or lesson a day and keeps the students on their toes.  We start at 8am and go until 3:10 with ELO (Extended Learning Opportunity) at 11:08-11:30.  ELO is for students who have missed a class and they can come in to study, make up work, etc.  This is not required but encouraged and I admit that I do not have very many students take advantage of this but the math teachers are usually slammed at this time.  Lunch then goes from 11:30-12:05.  Many students think we have an hour for lunch when in reality lunch is a half hour after ELO.  Our campus is 1200 students and we are the only high school in town. 

As far as classes go many teachers teach semester long classes-- I have year long classes with the option to drop at semester.  My classes are VERY full (35) in Theatre 1 and then get smaller in Theatre 2, etc. 

I find that this schedule really works for MOST subjects with the exception of math.  Many of the math teachers would like to see their students every day for consistency and fluidity of learning the subject.  We have explored how to make this work but haven't come up with a solution yet.  This works fine for AP classes as well

Julie Estrada
    Theatre Teacher
    Windsor, CO.

Hello everyone!

I am on a scheduling committee at my HS, as we begin to discuss options for how the building schedule is set.  Kids are currently selecting courses for next year -so we are starting to gather information to implement during 2015-2016.  We currently operate on a 4x4 block schedule - where classes run for a 90 day semester for 88 minutes.

Teachers have three classes daily, and then one block is for their planning period.  However, in light of needing more time for tutoring within the school day, some "homeroom" time (which ends up being like a study hall, two days per week).   They are considering adding a 5th period, as well as any other possibilities -  WHAT IS THE IDEAL HIGH SCHOOL SCHEDULE?

I teach Spanish by day, and do theatre as an extra-curricular - but I hope to have my Theatre Arts class reinstated next year... time will tell.  If you could take the time to share your daily time schedule with me - that would be very helpful!    My principal does not want to "reinvent the wheel" - but he is willing to consider some non-traditional options... 

Do you have a block schedule? Year long classes?  Combination?
    How long are classes each day?
           (We need to meet a 120 hour requirement for each course)
    Do you have some type of "club/homeroom/tutoring" time built into the school day?
    How long do students have to walk to their next class? (Our building is huge)
    Is there day to day consistency?
    How does your schedule impact pacing of courses?
    For AP courses (and other high stakes tests), is there enough instructional time?

If you have a link to your school's website where I can find some information to share, or if you can quickly jot a few notes to respond to these questions, I'd appreciate your help - whether you're in PA like me, or not.  I would also be happy to compile and share the results...

Thanks!

Melissa Mintzer
    Penn Manor HS - Troupe #274
    Millersville, PA

• 9.  RE:HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-16-2014 23:17
    We are on a rotating block schedule.  So, one day it's 1234, then the next is 5671, and then 2345 and so on.  I love it.

7:50 - 9:05                      1st Period

9:10 - 10:25                    2nd Period

10:25 - 10:30                  Announcements

10:35 - 10:40                  Homeroom I

10:40 - 11:25                  Independent Study

10:35 - 11:20                  Lunch I

11:30 - 11:35                  Homeroom II

11:35 - 12:20                  Independent Study

11:30 - 12:15                  Lunch II

12:25 - 1:40                   3rd Period

1:45  -  1:55                    Fitness Minute and McCare (This is where the entire school reads for enjoyment)

1:55 - 3:10                     4th Period

3:10                              Prayers and Announcements

75 minute classes

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley

• 10.  RE:HS Class Schedule Question

Posted 03-21-2014 12:04

Do you have a block schedule? Year long classes? Combination? - We have 7 classes a year.  Each day students have 5 50min classes with 1 90min class that switches every other day. 

How long are classes each day? - see above

Do you have some type of "club/homeroom/tutoring" time built into the school day? - we have a homeroom that meets for about 25mins every 2-3 weeks.  The schedule is set at the start of the school year. 

How long do students have to walk to their next class? (Our building is huge) - 6mins
    Is there day to day consistency? - yes (minus the homeroom days, but they are set early)
    How does your schedule impact pacing of courses? - I try to keep my level II-IV classes on the every other day schedule and my level I students on the every day class. 
    For AP courses (and other high stakes tests), is there enough instructional time? - I think so.

My schedule this year is:
    Period 1 - Musical Theatre
    Period 2 - Theatre Arts I
    Period 3 - Theatre Arts I
    Period 4A - Planning
    Period 4B - Theatre Arts II, III, IV, and GTIII/IV
    Period 5 - Stagecraft I, II, III (being renamed Technical Theatre next year)
    Period 6 - Planning

If I get the chance to pick, I would try not to have 1 planning on a 4th period and the other 4th period with a class.  It makes for a long day
    Steven Fleming
    Howard County Public School System