Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Women Musical

Posted 08-08-2016 16:27

Hello everyone,

I am a second year Drama teacher and director and I am new to this community.  I have already found a lot of helpful resources.  Last year, I felt so alone (I am a department of one at my school) so I am excited to be able to reach out to other theatre educators.  

I am interested in doing Little Women for my spring musical this year.  I have some strong girls that I would like to feature and I really like the score.  Have any of you produced this musical?  If so, what were some of the challenges you came across?  I don't have a huge cast (last year, our spring musical was Catch Me If You Can and we had a cast of 21).  However, I was wondering if there would be enough of an ensemble for this show.  I could feature some ensemble during the ball scene and during the scenes where Jo is telling her story to the professor.  Any other ideas for ensemble members would be appreciated.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 2.  RE: Little Women Musical

Posted 08-08-2016 23:22

I did little Women last year - it is a great show! There are places for ensemble members, but they don't have a ton to do. There is a lot for the supporting actors to do however which is nice. Sets (as always) were the rough part for us (we have small wings and it is hard to store a lot off stage. We built a permanent house at the back with the attic, then had 16' wagons with a couple of other sets we wheeled in front of it. I did  the kite flying scene in front of the curtain - just couldn't see spending $1000 or so for a drop for one scene - no matter how awesome it was. We had the kite attached to fishing line draped over a batten, when the scene was going on an ASM who was great at making it look like it was really blowing in the wind, and at the end she would whisk it up into the rafters (except the final show when it got caught on something and hung partially onstage through the whole next scene!!!!)

You will really love the show, it's fairly new, so our audience wasn't as large as for some of our past shows - which is a shame because the kids did an amazing job, it's in my top three musicals I've done at the school.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 3.  RE: Little Women Musical

Posted 08-09-2016 12:07

We are performing Little Women this year as well!! I'm going to try something different and use minimal set. We are only going to cast about 10 students. And we may perform the show on a a couple of different stages. I don't have everything figured out yet, so if you all have any ideas, let me know!! 

Suzanne Craig
    MS/HS Theatre Director
    Lipscomb Academy
    Nashville TN

• 4.  RE: Little Women Musical

Posted 08-09-2016 13:57

It's a lovely show and you can add ensemble people various places.  When we did it the opening enactment of the story we did as a kabuki type thing with the heroine on a platform that moved around and the ensemble held grass bunches that all moved to (ala Lion King).  You can have party guests at the party.  The beach scene can have people milling around.  We added maids/butlers for the Aunt's scene and the party (bringing things to guests).  Sounds like with a smaller group it will work well and you can have your ensemble be pretty busy.

We mostly used fabric for the various settings that moved in and out to give it a grandeur without blowing our budget (although curtain fabric isn't that cheap) and giving us things we could use in the future for many other shows.  The challenge is that dang Kite song which is so lovely, but getting the "death" right is a challenge.  We messed with it a bit and honestly I can't remember how we did it - but I think that is the only thing we did.  

It is honestly a pretty easy show if you have the voices since it is primarily acting and singing.  Just make sure your JO is a solid singer - those songs are hard :) - best wishes!  

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO

• 5.  RE: Little Women Musical

Posted 08-12-2016 13:30

We had an absolute blast with Little Women this past spring! It was my second year too, and I think it was the perfect choice for our group.

Things to think about:

-Jo doesn't leave the stage for more than 15 minutes in Act One!! So, really know your girl who is going to play her. She's working really hard - tons of harmonies, solo songs, etc. I ended up casting a sophomore though (God that girl can sing!) and she ROSE to the occasion. She worked hard, and she did it!

-The ensemble doesn't get a ton to do. So, here's some ideas that I did to give some more stage time:

I created a trio of maids for Aunt March that followed her around. We also split some of the "Could You?" song to give to the maids, which was quite fun and gave a few more solo moments.

I added a lot of "business" through the streets of NYC, the party scene, the "train station" before Marmee leaves for the train, etc, the beach scene.

I added a chorus dance sequence during Delighted where Meg is imagining everyone at the ball. It's really only a few 8 counts, but it was fun.

I also added a TON into the Weekly Volcano Press - I cast a group of Highwaymen (who were on Rodrigo's side) and Henchmen (who were on Braxton's side) and staged a big stage fight there. I also cast a Dashwood and had him acting out what Jo was saying and watching in horror as his office was turned into this locations. Very funny. I also used every opportunity to feature soloists in Volcano Press, and the entire cast was on stage for it - I brought back all the other characters along with the entire ensemble. It was really fun to have that final moment of that song be the entire cast!

We also had the entire cast sing the final "Sometimes When You Dream" finale with Jo - they were all backstage but she was alone onstage until Bhaer comes to get her. It really felt unified in a not-so unified show!

-We struggled with the Civil War aesthetic because we had some unforeseen budget issues and lost a costumer at a critical time, so at the last minute we chose to style it more in the 1940s style, and it worked really well. Honestly, very few people even noticed. Made it a lot easier and more fun to find things at vintage stores, too. Worked for our production in an unexpected way!

-As for the kite scene, we just didn't have our kite fly. I felt like, in our theater, we didn't have the technical ability to do it, and it would take away from the magic of the moment, so the girls held it up playfully, and it was quite beautiful. When Beth needed to leave, she left the stage to walk through the audience and took the kite with her. After she left, the family came out again, including Mr Lawrence (you can hear it in the music) and covered her piano with a sheet (to be later pulled off by Jo during The Fire Within Me.) I feel like in that moment, less is really more. It was very simple, and there were lots of sniffles from the audience!

SUCH a fun show - there's a lot of technical elements in the script in terms of location changing, but even we did it with a tiny stage and no fly space at all. If it is told with sense of magic and heart, it will be wonderful!

Here are some pictures from our production! (I had the foresight to marry a photographer - ha!)

OxDQnD7oTbuPSimg3u8t_image.jpeg

Some Things Are Meant To Be with the kite

OOzmdBbfStuoOdg1UJmE_image.jpegThe Troll and Clarissa from Weekly Volcano - those girls made those costumes all by themselves!! Old Halloween costumes and Goodwill finds, cut, painted and distressed - so fun!

cFWBrDmT7MN2K8eZPkLQ_image.jpeg

Meg and her Dream Dancers in "Delighted"

xbBdcJ27Ti6vyYhaSz2T_image.jpeg

Aunt March and the dancing maids in "Could You"!

qvlpbLZlR8qBPKWnDWtt_image.jpeg

The March Girls (Beth, Jo, Meg, Amy)

Umv1pckSOi6ikRKShxpQ_image.jpeg

Rodrigo, Clarissa and Braxton during Operatic Tragedy (we had their costumes get "better" for the second rendition of the telling)

Enjoy!

Kandace
    Drama Teacher
    WA

• 6.  RE: Little Women Musical

Posted 08-13-2016 18:02

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I am definitely getting lots of ideas. Kandace, thanks for sharing pictures from your show.  I am fortunate in that my husband is a carpenter and he helps me built my sets.  I am certain I have the singers.  I have someone in mind for Jo already.  

Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH