Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 08-08-2016 14:32
    Hi. I have around 5 boys to work from and none of them are the romantic lead types and I have about 20 girls. I've done Stage Door and considered Children's Hour but was wondering if there are any other ideas out there, perhaps a bit less heavy or slow. Would welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

Pauline Maranian

Sent from my iPad

• 2.  RE: Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 08-08-2016 21:49

A few random suggestions:

Antigone Now, a modern telling on Antigone - two main women roles, a smaller male role, and a chorus which can be divided any way you choose.

Women of Lockerbie, a deeply moving play about dealing with tragedy - the roles are fairly balanced, with 5 women and 2 men.

Distracted, about a mother dealing with a son who has ADHD - I think it's 5 women and 3 men, though some roles are doubled. Language might be a problem (the son uses a fair amount of curse words).

Hearts Like Fists - a superhero/love story. 5 women. 2 men, with a few roles doubled. 

Mr. Flannery's Ocean - a play about an old man who thinks he owns the ocean. 5 women and 3 men. Touching without being too sentimental. A one act play.

Wit - an uncompromising poetry professor dealing with ovarian cancer. Could be done with 7 women and 1 man, or 4 women and 4 men. If you haven't read it, you should. It's a beautiful play about mortality and facing death.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 08-09-2016 06:39

WOMEN OF LOCKERBIE is a great choice for a large cast. You can add more women to the Greek-style chorus. In fact, the playwright told me she prefers it that way.

LETTERS TO SALA has exactly the cast size you want in terms of number of male and female roles. 

And, of course, ALMOST, MAINE is always a favorite. Actors can double or not, so the cast size is flexible.

All three plays are published by Dramatists Play Service.

Arlene Hutton
    The Barrow Group
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 08-09-2016 10:55

Antigone Now is great. 

Scotian Women by Lee Pennington. Roughly based on The Trojan Women but deals with women outside the Scotia Mine in eastern Kentucky waiting to hear word of their husbands after a mine cave-in. Sources: https://nyx.uky.edu/fa/findingaid/?id=xt7rxw47qh35  and   https://beta.worldcat.org/archivegrid/collection/data/15466475.  If you're interested it's being produced locally and I can put you in touch with the director. Lee Pennington is also available for help if you want to talk with him.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 08-09-2016 07:37

Something like Metamorphoses or Anon(ymous) can be done with that few guys and would have nice flexible casting for your girls. I have really similar numbers to you and I'm looking at Love of Three Oranges or The Green Bird, both by Hillary DiPiano. Two years ago we did a new play called The Good Fight by Anne Bertram about the British suffragettes. It can be done with a handful of guys and there are lots of interesting roles for women. If you're interested in that piece, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the playwright. I don't think the play has been published yet. I also LOVE Still Life with Iris if you'd consider doing a piece for young audiences. It's really well-written, and my students had a great time with it.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 08-09-2016 12:18

Thank you for all those great suggestions.  I just read Letters to Sala and am considering it.  I also looked at Trojan Women and ordered a few different translations.  I really appreciate the feedback!

Pauline Maranian
    Costa Mesa CA

• 7.  RE: Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 08-10-2016 06:24

There are a series of plays that are comedies they are the "Farndale Avenue Township Guild's Productions of......."

They are typically a quantity of Women and maybe 1 or 2 men, they are lots of fun and simple to mount

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 8.  RE: Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 08-10-2016 08:55

Two heavy duty plays you might consider are Women and War which covers the role of women from the Civil War to the present and Piece of My Heart which deals with women in Viet Nam.  Casts of both can be expanded to include as many women as you want and all of your men.  Your history department will love you for either, and you can also get support from various veterans groups for both

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 9.  RE: Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 08-18-2016 21:03

I have to agree with Marilyn.  Women and War is a wonderful play!!!!!!!  I joked when I was searching for a show that I had cute and cuddly boys, and stronger women...WaW became the perfect show.  Don't run away when you see it is Reader's Theatre.  I did the entire show as a fully staged production.  You can always get the one-act version, it has blocking included to give you an idea.  I love this show so very much, I am happy to talk to you more about it.

Carolyn 

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 10.  RE: Need a play for mostly girls

Posted 04-11-2017 11:44
    I realize this thread was started last year, but I know that folks will come back to these suggestions as they start looking for plays again this year.

We produced Letters to Sala by Arlene Hutton this past March.  I had a cast of 12 women and 4 men.   It is a powerful play that deals with Sala's experiences in the Nazi labor camps (not concentration camps--labor camps), and it addresses it with the perfect amount of drama, tension and a few light hearted moments as well.   It is based on the book Sala's Gift, by Ann Kirschner, Sala's daughter.  Most of the dramaturgy has been done for you in Ann's book but I did a lot more research on my own.  The play takes place in New York, 2005; Sosnowic, Poland 1938; and several labor camps.   We reached our to our local Jewish community and were honored to have two Holocaust survivors attend our opening night.  This is a powerful play that deeply touched the audience members.  

You can check out Sala's story at the New York Public Library:  http://web-static.nypl.org/exhibitions/sala/

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA