Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Drawer Boy - licensing rights?

Posted 08-08-2016 08:36

Does anyone know who controls the USA rights for the play "The Drawer Boy" by Michael Healey?

• 2.  RE: The Drawer Boy - licensing rights?

Posted 08-08-2016 11:26

This is challenging, as Google wasn't yielding any obvious licensing results, nor does it seem to be licensed through the Playwrights Guild of Canada (Healey is Canadian). However, given that Redtwist Theatre in Chicago did the play fairly recently, I'd recommend calling/emailing them and asking them where they got the rights:
    http://redtwist.org/Productions/DrawerBoy/Production.html

The play sounds like an interesting read, though the casting (3 males, 2 of whom are senior citizens) would seem to make it the kind of play that is best done in the professional/semi-pro community theatre world.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

------------------------------
    Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 3.  RE: The Drawer Boy - licensing rights?

Posted 08-09-2016 08:51

Thanks for looking. I had the same problems looking on Google. I saw the American premiere at the Steppenwolf about 15 years ago (with John Mahoney, Frank Galati and Johnny Galecki) and I have wanted to do the play since then. I am directing for a community theatre this upcoming year and I thought Drawer Boy would be perfect for them.

I have the script on order, so I am hoping it will give more information.

Thomas Peters
    Theatre and Speech Teacher
    The Summit Country Day School
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: The Drawer Boy - licensing rights?

Posted 08-10-2016 01:24

Yes, hopefully it will offer some information in the front about whom to contact re: licensing. If not, though, contact anyone who's done the show recently to see where they got the rights. Or if that too fails, perhaps try the Playwrights Guild of Canada to see if they have an agency contact.

And for community theatre, it sounds like a great choice.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA