Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New Ideas for Play Reports?

Posted 08-06-2016 12:11

Hi, everyone,

I'm looking for some new ideas to include as part of the reports that students write about plays that they read, and for those that they see.  Do you have fun, unique questions for them to ponder?  

For example, when a student reads a play in my class, one of the sections of the report asks students to cast themselves as the character that is most similar to them (in personality, not physical representation).  They must then cite evidence in the play and in life to support that claim.

Other thoughts? 

------------------------------
    Kimberly Taylor
    Oakland CA

• 2.  RE: New Ideas for Play Reports?

Posted 08-07-2016 15:55

Independent play reading is 20% of the grade in all of my theatre classes.  This is the report format they use.  Typically, the Theatre I students are heavy on synopsis, thin on creative ideas.  That reverses as they read and report on more plays.  In addition to the written report, they present a review to the class, telling only enough about the plot to let fellow students know whether they might enjoy reading the play or not.  

I. List the title and the playwright. Play titles should be underlined or placed in italics.

II.  Write a brief plot synopsis. Tell the major things that happen, including the ending.

III.  Choose the character you would most like to play on stage, and tell why you would like to play that role. Copy down two or three lines you would particularly enjoy saying. Use quotation marks!

IV.  Give some of your ideas for designing a production of the play. If you are reading creatively, you should envision various production components. Give some of your ideas for set, costumes, music, and/or lighting. Keep in mind that the scene design and stage directions you find in an acting script are usually from the first major production of the play, not those suggested by the playwright. Be creative as you think about designs for our Arts Theatre or another performance space you know. 

V.  Opinions.

Give and support your opinion of the play. Did you like it? Why, or why not?

Tell what type of theatre you believe would have most success with the play: professional, university, community, high school, elementary school, church, etc. 

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 3.  RE: New Ideas for Play Reports?

Posted 08-08-2016 08:11

I do  "Play Cards"   using  5x8 notecards

All the pertinent info is required: title, playwright, number of characters

then some questions:  what is the setting?  why did the playwright chose this setting

who is the protagonist (main character, and how/why do you think they are theprotagonist

I give them a simple formula for synopsis which can only be about 3 sentences

Someone ...wants or needs  something... BUT .... so....THEN /When....finally (this basically follows dramatic structure and allows them to narrow their focus, otherwise they write very long complicated synopses)

Then they must state the theme in one sentence

Did they like the play, why or why not.

Scott Keys
    Sarasota FL