Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Projections

Posted 08-04-2016 10:59

I would like to use projections in my upcoming production of Laramie Project.  I am not sure how to do this.  My idea is to have two large screens on either side of the stage and use them for the television reporters and the hospital updates.  I was looking at projecting from the back but I need help with logistics. What kind of fabric for the screens and can I use regular projectors? Do I need a special computer program?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Michelle Meyer
    Frederick MD

• 2.  RE: Projections

Posted 08-04-2016 21:30

A few tips for projections:

First, know your equipment.

How far must the projection be placed from the screen to achieve the size you want?

Can the projector be set to back projection (most can)?

What are you running the video from?

With the proper adapters, you can run multiple views and images off of a single Mac using Qlabs (free application). You can even change the size, shape and configuration of the projection. There are helpful youtube video instructions from the Qlab company for this.

If you are running off a PC, I'm afraid I don't know much about that.

As far as cloth, you could use a scrim, back projection cloth, or in a pinch, white bedsheets. Just make sure if you use anything freestanding that it is stretched well on a frame if you want the image crisp and unaltered.

Hope this helps you get started! We're doing Laramie:10 Years Later. 

Yours in Art,

Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 3.  RE: Projections

Posted 08-05-2016 09:28

Frost shower curtains from Lowe's or Home Depot are great for rear projection and you can use clear packing tape to put more than one together. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Projections

Posted 08-05-2016 08:56

I used projections from the back onto our cyc plus we used TV monitors on either side of the stage for still photos or video clips. Was awesome looking. The videos on the cyc we programmed through qlab and tvs were controlled via laptops. 

Hope this helps. 

James Fry
    Director of Student Life & Malvern Theatre Society
    West Chester PA

• 5.  RE: Projections

Posted 08-05-2016 10:58

Be careful with rear projections. Your front lights will wash them out badly. The images or video have be bold and sharp.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 6.  RE: Projections

Posted 08-05-2016 13:26
    I have done projections for years. Depending on the size of the image needed you have to enough space behind the screen to put the projectors. You need one projector per screen. You can use any computer that you can hook up to the projector. Usually a VGA cable is what you would use. You can use power point, keynote, slideshow. Any program that allows you to import pictures and play them. I have always done sound separately as it makes it easier to keep to the time and flow of the show and the computer/projector capabilities. You can do front projection if needed, just don't let actors go between the screen and the projector. Neat effect I have also done is shadow/dance images with live actors (really cool). Rear Screen Projection Fabric can be bought by the yard from Rose Brand or Rosco. The tighter the screen the crisper the image. Rear screen will also work on the front as well. One other thing is make sure your projector is set for a reverse or mirror image when using rear screen.

Another option is front short throw projection depending on space and budget and how big you want the images. These are projectors that lighting rental places usually have and they rent for about 4 grand they are about 80 grand to purchase. If you want a full screen image on your cyc- it is amazing. It's like renting the best drops in the world. You can see some of our results on our website: poteetpirateplayers.weebly.com

Don't be afraid, you can do this from shoestring to Broadway budgets and equipment.

Kelly M. Thomas

Poteet High School

Mesquite, TX

• 7.  RE: Projections

Posted 08-05-2016 18:29

Any projector will do, but the brightness you get is very important.  Apparent brightness is determined largely by three things:

• The Lumen output of the projector.  The calculation for the ideal minimum amount of Projector Lumens needed.
    • The Reflectivity (or gain) of the projection surface.  Every type of screen / surface has a different percentage of the light that will be reflected back at the audience.  A typical 'matte white' screen in a classroom is about a 1.0 gain.  Bed sheets are about 0.9 gain.  Screens from Stewart, Draper, DaLite, Rosco, Rose Brand all have published gain numbers you can use.  Higher gain screens (1.5 to 2.5+) tend to have a narrower viewing angle, so it depends where the screen is situated relative to the seats whether or not this matters.  Some High Contrast screens have a gain between 0.5 and 0.8 (they appear grayish to the naked eye).
    • The Size of the image greatly affects the net image brightness.  If you double the screen dimensions (say go from a 4' x 3' 'classroom' screen up to an 8' x 6' screen (assuming the same material and projector), then you will need to project 4X the amount of Lumens to get the same effective image brightness.  Double that again to 16' x 12', and you will need 16X the Lumens.  You can see that a 1,000 Lumen classroom projector rapidly needs to be upgraded to a 16,000 Lumen device as the screen size increases.

So, what is the goal you are shooting for?  Experience has shown that a screen brightness of about 20-30 Lumens per Square Foot MINIMUM is needed in an auditorium (this is NOT a Movie Theatre where all the lights are off and the side walls and ceiling are dark matte finishes - this type of controlled environment only requires about 12-16 Lumens per Square Foot).

WARNING:  MATH COMING!  A Great STEAM moment!

Projector Lumens needed to get to your goal:

Projector Lumens = (Desired Screen Lumens per Sq. Ft.) x (Screen Width in feet) x (Screen Height in feet) / (Screen Gain)

Example:  5400 Lumens = 30 x 16' x 9' / 0.8

For a Cyc-sized Screen:  21,600 Lumens = 30 x 32' x 18' / 0.8

Contrast Ratio:  Hold up a white sheet of paper - this is about the same gain as a bed sheet.  You will notice a distinct white color to it (amazing!).  Guess what?  This is what BLACK will look like.  You can't project Black, you can only project more white (or colors).  Higher gain screens tend to reflect back more of the ambient light in the room (or set), which in-turn washes-out the image. This is why TV sets / computer displays look so nice - they have a very dark appearance when there is no image on them.  Rear Projection can work to your advantage if you use a screen material that is designed for that purpose because it has a low-reflective front face and the dark space behind the screen (really important - DARK BLACK space behind the screen) makes the blacks truer.  Frosted Shower Curtains do not do this very well - they still look light gray from the front.  There are also front projection screen materials that have a low gain / high-contrast surface that are engineered to reject ambient light from overhead or the side, and these can help with a front projection in a room with some ambient light.

Carefully cropping (shuttering) any stage or house lights so they do not spill light onto your projection surfaces can help a lot.

Stacking projectors to double-up or triple-up the brightness can work, but you need to be very diligent about how the projectors are mounted so they don't cook each other from the heat they produce, are secure from movement, and so they can be independently micro-adjusted so the pixels line-up on top of each-other.  Two 4,000 Lumen projectors effectively create an 8,000 Lumen projector, and three can effectively create a 12,000 Lumen projector.

Image Blending is when you place multiple projectors spaced apart and each one delivers a part of the total image with a little bit of overlap.  Special software (sometimes built into the projector) assists the user to align the overlap zones and 'blend' the images together.  This can create a big image using multiple smaller (less powerful) projectors, and can be helpful when there is a limitation as to how far away from the screen the projector can be located (say, limited back stage space in a rear projection set-up).  Blended images can be across one or two image axis.  Example: 1x3 (horizontal), 3x1 (vertical), 3x3 (both)

Lens selection is important as each projector / lens combination has a limit as to how large or small you can make the image, and within what range of distances from the projector to the screen you can actually get the image to focus.  Small cheap projectors don't typically have interchangeable lenses, larger 'industrial' / 'professional' projectors typically accommodate a large variety of lenses that can be rented and allow the projector to be situated in a more convenient location while still filling the screen with an image.

Placing projectors in the audience seating area, or above the audience seating area, can introduce a lot of stray light and fan noise that may be distracting to the audience.

• Projectors on tables in the seating area blow hot air on the audience seated near them, and must be very secure so they don't get knocked-over and damaged.  Cable must be routed very carefully and securely so that they don't present a trip hazard. ADA recommendations are that bumps (discontinuities) in the walking surface should be no more than 1/2" (AND CLEARLY MARKED), so big fat SO power cables and big bundles of signal cables must be avoided.
    • Projectors mounted overhead must be mounted with brackets specifically engineered for the product.  Plywood shelves, rope, ty-wraps, and other home-made rigging are NOT acceptable.  10-100 pound projectors can cause severe injuries and financial losses should they fall.  Do it right or don't do it at all.

'No image' or a 'blank screen' doesn't mean you are projecting 'nothing'.  Most projectors have fairly low internal contrast ratios, so even when you feed BLACK to the projector, you still get GRAY on the screen.  Turning-off the projector, then turning it back on again is stressful for the projector electronics and the lamp(s), and the start-up image produced by the device may not always be predictable or controllable. It is better to turn-on your projectors before the audience enters the room, and leave them running until the last bright lighting cue after they are no longer needed.

• Installing a hard shutter in front of the projector lens is the only way to get BLACK or nothing to be cast upon your screens.  There are remotely operated 'dousers' that achieve this function that can be purchased or rented.  If your prop shop is skilled, they can also make a little remote control arm that moves a shutter (Rosco Black Wrap) in front of the projector's lens.  This makes a good tech project!

Wiring:  VGA signals, even with really large good cables, are limited as to how far you can go before the image gets soft and fuzzy, or even fails to work.  Similarly, HDMI cable have a limitation, too.  This can create problems when you are trying to put your computer at the back of the seating area and your projector is on or near the stage.  You will probably need a cable extender that utilizes CAT5 (or better Cat5e, Cat6a) type computer network cables as the transport medium.  There are several different protocols used, most of which are not actually ethernet network compatible, so DO NOT connect the cables through the schools network jacks unless you know for sure that you won't destroy any equipment.  Using signal extenders are for a point-to-point connection utilizing data type cables, not the building network (unless you have a Video Over IP solution).  One of the most common extension systems today uses a signal format call HDBaseT.  This typically accepts a signal from a HDMI source (or from a DVI-D or DisplayPort device via an adapter).  At the projector there is another interface box that converts the signal back to HDMI, DVI, or DisplayPort.  Some of the newest projectors have HDBaseT connections built in, so you only need the signal converter at the sending end.  There are also fiber-optic based signal extenders that work very well over large distances.

Wireless: Some projectors have MiraCast or Apple AirPlay receivers built-in, or you can use an outboard adapter to send the signal to the projector (distances are limited).  There are numerous 'xxxCast' variations out there (Extron, Crestron, Barco, Christi, and many more), and intercompatibility is almost non-existent, so test and re-test to get this technology to work for you.

I know this all sounds expensive, but the good news is that you can rent all of this gear, you don't have to buy it.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 8.  RE: Projections

Posted 08-06-2016 12:30

A lot of great information as usual!

Just on a side note... I understand the OP was asking specifically about The Laramie Project, and the screens described are a good choice for the show. However, lots of other stories can make good use of projections, and these don't always have to be done on a screen as such.

For instance, here are two recent shows I did. The first one, Dog Sees God (which is about the Peanuts gang in high school), had a number of elements, resembling comic-strip frames, which became projection surfaces. When not used for a projection, they stood on their own as a logical part of the environment. This was all part of the original concept for the set.

The second show, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, didn't have any screens at all. The entire back wall, where the nurse's station was, was designed as a projection surface, and the projections were used only when Chief Bromden was talking. Again, this was part of the concept from the start.

By the way, both of these shows were done at a local two-year community college. If you'd like to find out more about the concepts and the projections, you can do so on my site, at www.georgefledo.net.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 9.  RE: Projections

Posted 06-15-2017 10:41
    Hello everyone!

I just recently wrote up a handful of tips on using projections if you're interested in getting started.

Here they are.

Also, feel free to contact me with any questions:)

Mitch Stark
    Founder and Projection Designer
    TheatreAve.com
    mitch@freedomhouseproductions.com
    303-524-2002