Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Love/Sick

Posted 08-02-2016 10:20

Has anyone seen or read John Cariani's LOVE/SICK? We had a really great time with ALMOST, MAINE a few years ago, and I'd love to find a play of a similar style and structure. But the manuscript is really expensive, so I hate to spend the money to ready it only to find out that it isn't appropriate for high school. What are your thoughts?

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Love/Sick

Posted 08-02-2016 10:24

I think there was a review in the NYT. Or do a Google search for reviews.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Love/Sick

Posted 08-02-2016 15:32

The community theatre I work with is doing Love/Sick in February and I was on the play selection committee that chose it. I loved this play just as much as Almost, Maine, maybe even more. It’s the same style of writing-funny, sweet and warm, but slightly darker than Almost, Maine. The theme is “love and loss.” Ability to double roles or have a large cast, simple set and costumes. I wouldn’t suggest it for high school because the characters really need to be a little older to make it believable, 30’s-40’s. They’ve been married for significant amounts of time, divorced, have children, etc.

Additionally, there’s a greater chance for controversy than with Almost, Maine. Almost can cause a little controversy in some communities because of the scene between two men, who don’t even touch. There are two scenes in Love/Sick involving same-sex relationships. In one, two men who have been dating realize they love each other, in the other, two women with a child are having problems in their marriage. There’s also a gun in one scene (not real, doesn’t fire, but it has to be there) and another scene that mentions sex about 87 times, plus some making out.

It is a GREAT read though, I definitely recommend splurging and taking a little time to read it for pleasure. I could relate to it, I laughed out loud, and can’t wait to see it performed live.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 4.  RE: Love/Sick

Posted 08-03-2016 08:20

I have seen it and read it and second Ginny's comments. I like it but think A/M is the better play and certainly more suited and accessible for HS students. I would not tackle it with HS students as the material really needs more life experience to truly apprehend. 

John (Jerf) Friedenberg
    Director Of Theatre
    Wake Forest University Dept of Theatre & Dance
    Winston-salem NC

• 5.  RE: Love/Sick

Posted 08-03-2016 14:11

I waited for two years to get a hold of this manuscript. After directing a very special production of Almost, ME, I was hoping that it would be equally as charming and appropriate for my high school-aged girls. I do agree that this play is not appropriate for a younger age bracket, but I didn't love it in the same way I did when I first read Almost...I feel it relies too heavily on character hangups and afflictions. I did not find it as humorous or meaningful as AM. Just my opinion. It is definitely worth a read.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 6.  RE: Love/Sick

Posted 08-04-2016 14:48

I really appreciate your insights. I'm really looking for a script that I just fall in love with like I did Almost, Maine. (Or other shows I've directed -- doesn't have to be a romantic comedy.) I also agree that some of the cautions you mention could be problematic. It sounds like I'll keep on searching for my winter show. Thank you!

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Love/Sick

Posted 08-05-2016 06:07
    Just a thought--have you considered Curious Savage? It is my alltime favorite-- good characters, sweet show and great message that doesn't hit you over the head.

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.--Georgia O'Keefe
    Sent from my iPad

• 8.  RE: Love/Sick

Posted 08-09-2016 06:49

I saw Love/Sick and enjoyed it a lot. It IS darker than Almost, Maine. Although there is a lot of craftsmanship in the writing, the piece as a whole doesn't pay off in the end in the wonderful way that Almost, Maine does.

The characters are older and more mature and it may not be appropriate for some high schools. But it's still a John Cariani play and has a lot going for it. He was in the NY production and it was wonderful to see him perform his own work. (He was also great in Something Rotten on Broadway.)

Arlene Hutton
    The Barrow Group
    New York, NY