Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  31 Plays in 31 Days?

Posted 08-01-2016 16:05

I have a couple friends who just started this project today, and it seems like fun:

http://31plays31days.com/

Basically, you write a play every day in the month of August, based on a prompt and picture they provide. Is anyone here trying it (or tried it in the past)? 

Might make for a good unit on playwriting!

------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 2.  RE: 31 Plays in 31 Days?

Posted 08-01-2016 18:41

Good grief, I'm glad it's about writing a play... I couldn't even image designing a set every day for 31 days!   :-)

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: 31 Plays in 31 Days?

Posted 08-02-2016 08:07

I signed up for 31 Plays in 31 Days yesterday and am looking forward to the forced discipline and the writing prompts. Although I've not done this version, Red Theatre Chicago does something similar every year in November (during "Write a Novel month" and I've enjoyed it very much. Some of my short plays (can be a 1-5 minute play) have turned into longer pieces or fed into works in progress. It's forced me to be spontaneous and led to some interesting drafts, as well as some writing designed for the trash. It's fun and I think would be great for students to do as a group.

Arlene Hutton
    playwright
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: 31 Plays in 31 Days?

Posted 08-02-2016 13:44

ErmMyGosh this sounds so cool! I'm going to try it!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: 31 Plays in 31 Days?

Posted 08-02-2016 16:03

I think this is a great idea.  I have not used this, but I plan on having my Theater 4 class write for Theater 2 and 1. This would be a great way to have students see progression of skills as well as a way to create a connection between students.

Also beneficial would be the playwrights' seeing their work in production.  I might also have some of the writers direct the production of the plays.

Love this idea,

Andrea Hanna                                                                                                                                                        Piper High School                                                                                                                                                     Sunrise, FL 

Andrea Hanna
    Sunrise FL

• 6.  RE: 31 Plays in 31 Days?

Posted 08-06-2016 11:02

Thanks for sharing!   I am going to use this.

Tracey Buot
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia

• 7.  RE: 31 Plays in 31 Days?

Posted 08-09-2016 08:58

For those participating, how's it going? Written any masterpieces yet? :)

I've been following the 31 Plays in 31 Days blog and was delighted to see a troupe director (and Community member!) interviewed! Erin Moughon-Smith is a Junior Troupe Director in New York who has been doing this for five years. You can read the interview and a couple of her plays here:

http://31plays31days.com/post/148557192292/play-date-erin-moughon

Congrats, Erin! 

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY