Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  small cast musical

Posted 07-31-2016 20:53
    My musical theatre ensemble cast is very small this year.  I want to do a musical... right now I have 10 students 5 girls, and 5 boys.  I am willing to do a junior show or a children's theatre.  Any ideas?

--
    Maria Madonis Palassis
    Oak Hills High School
    Director of Orchestras
    Director of Thespian Troupe 1256 Productions
    Drama Club Advisor
    Vocal Music Teacher: UnCommon Time,
    Concert Choir,Freshmen Ladies Chorus,
    Musical Theatre Ensemble
    Piano Teacher
    Key Club Advisor

• 2.  RE: small cast musical

Posted 08-01-2016 09:30

Hi Maria,

How about YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN?  Both the original and the revised version featured 6 actors, but the show is very easily adapted use more performers. CHARLIE BROWN is a great middle ground between a full-size, large-cast show and a reduced young performers' production, and it's always a huge hit with family audiences.

For more sophisticated fare, try AMOUR. Tams just made AMOUR available for licensing, so you could promote it as a "premiere production" in your state. It's an ideal musical for a small ensemble; the original Broadway cast used 9 actors with some doubling, so each of your ten actors could have a great role. The show is a whimsical French romance about a mild-mannered Parisian man who can suddenly walk through walls. It's sung-through and the music is more challenging than the score to CHARLIE BROWN. Take a look and see if it's a better fit.

And, for something really out there, Tams has a super-groovy rock musical called YOUR OWN THING, which is a 1968 rock musical adaptation of Shakespeare's TWELFTH NIGHT, using a cast of exactly 10 actors. Your actors would have fun playing around with the VERY hippy-ish late 60s feel of the whole show, and you could link the content to your English curriculum.

Whatever you wind up doing... best of luck with your show!

Cheers,

Jim

------------------------------
    Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark Music Library, Inc.
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: small cast musical

Posted 08-02-2016 13:32

Hi Maria,

If you'd like to consider a small musical comedy where you can assign everyone a lead role, take a look at FORBIDDEN BROADWAY'S GREATEST HITS. It is performed on a unit set, accompanied by piano (performance tracks are available). There are two acts, with each running 45 - 50 minutes. It has been produced with casts as small as 4 (2m & 2w) or as large as 28 or more. Contact me, jimh@theatricalrights.com, if you (or anyone else) would like a complimentary perusal script. 

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education
    TRW
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: small cast musical

Posted 08-01-2016 10:28

Hi Maria!

We have found that ZOMBIE PROM is a very popular musical for small to mid-size cast with an even gender split (5m/5f). It also comes in a School Version. It's a great show -  very fun - a send up to teenage romance films.

You can read a little more about it here. Also, there's a search function on our site that lets you delimitate cast size, length of musical etc. I hope you can find some ideas there! Let me know if Samuel French can be of any help!

Best,

Lawrence Haynes
    Marketing Associate: Musicals
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: small cast musical

Posted 08-01-2016 20:26
    They're Playing Our Song would match your class exactly.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale

• 6.  RE: small cast musical

Posted 08-02-2016 06:40

Small cast can still mean BIG show. Have you done Little Shop of Horrors? Your cast is the perfect size for this show. Other shows I'd consider are The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Violet, and Avenue Q-School Edition. Another thing to consider is incorporating your school chorus into the ensemble, unless the objective is to have a small cast musical. I hope this was helpful.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 7.  RE: small cast musical

Posted 08-02-2016 11:38

Schoolhouse Rock is a ton of fun and can be done with a small cast. It's also fun to get a talented teacher to play the "teacher" role...good ticket sales boost.

Some MTI Jr shows state that no one over 9th grade can participate - check this before you do a Jr version at the high school level. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 8.  RE: small cast musical

Posted 08-02-2016 13:42

Maybe 'The Drowsy Chaperone'? Or perhaps even 'Parade'? They could be done with your numbers, I think.

Slap me if I'm talking smack...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 9.  RE: small cast musical

Posted 08-03-2016 10:22

Our community theater did Clue this year and it was very successful! She loves me is small cast! 

Brooke Jackson