Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  2 minute plays

Posted 07-29-2016 00:43

I've done a ton of work with 10 minute plays, 30 minute plays, and of course full length 1.5-2 hour plays, but sometimes I just want to get a single acting snapshot in 2 minutes or less.

Essentially quick and dirty scene study where students must make character and blocking decisions quickly. I know I can shift through my play collections and take 1-2 page excerpts...but I'm hoping other people have already invented that wheel. 

Can anyone suggest good scene books with 1-3 minute scenes in them all collected together?  In my perfect world these would be either self contained super short plays or cuttings from longer pieces that do not require a read of the whole play to perform. Characters should have depth but be instantly understandable.  I know...tall order, but I plead with the collected wisdom of the forum.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Bryan Ringsted
    Theater Arts Instructor
    San Jose CA

• 2.  RE: 2 minute plays

Posted 07-29-2016 00:55

Anything from "Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind":

Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind (30 plays in 60 minutes)}

100 Neo-Futurist Plays: From Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind (30 Plays in 60 Minutes)

200 More Neo-Futurist Plays: from Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind (30 Plays in 60 Minutes)

Neo-Solo: 131 Neo-Futurist Solo Plays: from Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind (30 Plays in 60 Minutes)

225 Plays: By The New York Neo-Futurists from Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: 2 minute plays

Posted 07-31-2016 10:29

Building off of Ken's perfect suggestion (we love TML!) , my colleague/co teacher Shawn Hann does an entire unit focused on having our juniors create their own 2 minute plays that deal with issues/concepts/ideas that they are passionate about.  They can range from the political (human rights, abuse) to the absurd (two guys saying "dude" and then throwing pies at one another) but the goal is for them to create theatre that is theirs, that they own.  (and we perform them of course once they have written tons of them and then voted them down to a select few).

It's almost identical to the SNL sketch where the students rearrange blocks and perform overly earnest "angsty"pieces; although we would like to think that ours isn't as didactic/tacky :)

This comes directly from what the Neo-futurists TML is all about - and it would be easily adaptable to more of a traditional "play" format if you wanted students to create 2 minute scenes where they give as much given circumstance/backstory as they can.  Kind of a twist on the A/B scenes that many of use - which actually may be an interesting starting point...if students take an A/B scene flush it out with props/costumes/context to see how much they can pack in that short amount of time..and then reverse it so they write their own A/B scene but just try and fit as much context/character development as possible.  I know this doesn't answer where to find 2 minute scenes cuttings (Ken's got that!) but just some other ideas that might work!

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO

• 4.  RE: 2 minute plays

Posted 07-31-2016 22:03

I should have included this link as well:

Playscripts.com remove preview
    Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind (30 plays in 60 minutes) | Having opened in 1988 and still playing today as the longest-running show in Chicago history, Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind is an ensemble experiment in presenting "30 Plays in 60 Minutes."
    View this on Playscripts.com >

These are the plays that can be licensed for performances. The script contains many of the plays in the previous books.

Just a note - if you use any of the plays, read through them thoroughly first - some are not school appropriate. I made that mistake and a group performed a scene about deconstructing the lyrics of Soulja Boy's Crank That. Luckily no admin walked in on the class. 

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 5.  RE: 2 minute plays

Posted 08-01-2016 11:55

I concur with Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind. My students really like a lot of the options in it. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ