Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Master's Program WITHOUT Summer Intensive

Posted 07-27-2016 14:51

Hi all, 

I found some information on this topic by searching the discussion boards, but I'm on a quest for really specific information. I need to find a master's program (theatre or theatre ed) that is almost entirely online OR where I could do my on-campus work through a local university. Most of the programs I've found require summer intensives of 3-6 weeks, and as a new mom with an 11-month contract, I simply can't swing that. Bonus points for programs that are cost effective, as I won't get much of a pay bump and we only get a small amount of tuition reimbursement.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Master's Program WITHOUT Summer Intensive

Posted 07-28-2016 16:52

Try this site, Theater Masters Programs and Degrees

www.gradschools.com remove preview
    Theater Masters Programs and Degrees
    For the student who is both ready to take their education and technical skills up a notch as well as enthused with the performing arts, earning an online Masters in theatre degree may be a great fit.
    View this on www.gradschools.com >

The UNCO  program is good, mostly online but there are two summer intensives of three weeks.

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 3.  RE: Master's Program WITHOUT Summer Intensive

Posted 07-28-2016 22:22

I also needed similar requirements for online theater courses.  I came across this and am going to do some course work through them - all online.  Not sure about the cost effectiveness, though.  If you are doing a full Masters, then you can qualify for financial aid; since I am not, then I have to pay for it all.  The courses and program seems very reasonable.

Online Master of Arts in Theatre - Regent University

Regent remove preview
    Online Master of Arts in Theatre - Regent University
    Are you ready to take your passion for theatre to the next level? Regent's online Master of Arts in Theatre will help you do just that.
    View this on Regent >

Good Luck!!

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 4.  RE: Master's Program WITHOUT Summer Intensive

Posted 01-23-2017 11:47
    Michael,
    Do you like Regent so far? I signed up for my first class and I am not a fan at all. I'll be looking to transfer after this semester.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Master's Program WITHOUT Summer Intensive

Posted 07-29-2016 08:28

Thanks so much! I'm looking at Regent, which has an optional on-site summer course and UNCO, since I could probably handle the two three-week intensives. Northern Colorado is also really reasonably priced. I really wish I didn't have to do it this way. Obviously in a perfect world I'd want to jump right into all the hands-on classes (actually, in a perfect world I'd aim for an MFA in performance), but I can't do a residency program with a full-time job and so many of the summer intensive programs are SO FAR AWAY. I wish one of the schools near me in Virginia offered something geared towards working professionals, but there just isn't anything. :-(

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: Master's Program WITHOUT Summer Intensive

Posted 01-24-2017 07:52
    I attended the University of Houston Summer MA Program for Theatre Educators and loved it. It does have a summer component (3 summers) but what sold me on it was the fact that we spent one week each summer studying in an alternate city. My first summer we studied at Lincoln Center in NYC, my second summer was at Steppenwolf in Chicago, and my final summer (last summer) was at RADA in London. A plus for you is that is a MA in Theatre and not education- making it more palatable in the event you want to leave middle or high school teaching in the future. Lastly, as an out of state student I received 2 scholarships- one giving me in state tuition rates, and another decreasing the overall cost. All things considered- for what you get from the program- I found it to be the most cost effective option. I applied and got into SOU and Northern Colorado. I also applied to UNC and UF but they were not having co-horts that year. I would also recommend looking at Roosevelt in Chicago- they offer a Masters program in directing that several people I know have attended and enjoyed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski