Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Black Box Theatre Furniture

Posted 07-13-2016 14:52
    Hello all,

I have to furnish a black box theatre for a school, and I want to make sure that I get it furnish properly. Any suggestions on things that are required in a black box theatre would be appreciated. I would also like to hear some suggestions about things you'd like to have had in your own black box as well.

Thanks in advance!!!

Kimberly

---------------------------------
    Kimberly Caldwell
    Drama Teacher
    Bryan TX

• 2.  RE: Black Box Theatre Furniture

Posted 07-14-2016 10:45
    Absolutely necessary: sturdy plywood cubes in two sizes: 18 inch square and 24 inch square. Our 24 inch cubes have hand holds cut into two sides for easy carrying. Use 1/2-5/8 inch ply for the smaller cubes, and 3/4 inch for the larger ones. Leave one end open so that they can magically become shelving on stage, or can double as storage. Paint them black inside as well as outside.
    I'd recommend around 12 small cubes and up to 6 large ones.
    Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Black Box Theatre Furniture

Posted 07-14-2016 10:53
    Hi, Kimberly,
    Stacking rather than folding chairs, and wheeled carts on which to transport the stacks of chairs.  (Folding chairs do NOT stand up to heavy use.)  Ticket counter.  Storage shelves (also on wheels, if possible).  Wheeled racks for audience's outerwear, wheeled racks for costumes.  Benches for dressing areas.  Makeup mirrors, tables or counters, and adjustable-height stools for makeup and wig application.  The more portable (all those wheels!), the better.  We furnished our new black box theater just under a year ago, so it's all very fresh in my mind!  Good luck!

• 4.  RE: Black Box Theatre Furniture

Posted 07-14-2016 12:55

In addition to the storage shelves, you may also want to consider one or more lockable cabinets for items you don't want to leave out, such as small tools and supplies.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 5.  RE: Black Box Theatre Furniture

Posted 07-14-2016 13:57

Hi! You can't go wrong with the multiple sized drama blocks from Wenger. I have been teaching for 112 or so years and I've made them, bought various models (both here and overseas) and have found that the interlocking system is great. I have a basic set up: three huge ones, five medium, seven small and five petite (I don't know the real terms; those are just mine) and this past year I bought two of the stackable/flexible step unit things that fold up nice and small and can be easily moved due to the wheel system. It's all online in their catalogue and I suggest dealing with Mary--she's fab!

------------------------------
    Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 6.  RE: Black Box Theatre Furniture

Posted 07-15-2016 08:46
    Are you outfitting lights and sound and audience seating as well as for use on the stage?

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 7.  RE: Black Box Theatre Furniture

Posted 07-19-2016 12:25
    Yes. I'm bringing in lights and seating. So far all I have is a black room. :)

Kimberly Caldwell
    Drama Teacher
    Bryan TX