Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plays to Teach Directing and Building a Pipeline Suggestions

Posted 06-29-2016 14:54

Hi All!

I am looking for a shorter play to use for students to read, analyze, and direct scenes from.  Something like Almost Maine with 2-4 actors in each scene.  Any suggestions?

Also, my high school is across the street from one of our K-8 feeders.  I want to do more to continue to build a pipeline.  They just hired a theatre teacher at the K-8 building this year so I am hoping that helps.  I already do a middle school teaser for students for our musical and have my intro kids create and perform children's plays from children's books and present them in the elementary school classrooms.  Any other suggestions in terms of building your programs and increasing your enrollment from feeder schools would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Heathe Stecklein
    Theatre Director/Teacher
    Aurora CO

• 2.  RE: Plays to Teach Directing and Building a Pipeline Suggestions

Posted 06-30-2016 07:52

In my directing unit in theatre 1, I use Andre's Mother. It's a great little piece for four actors. It's only 2.5 pages and takes place after the funeral of a young gay man who died of AIDS. The title character has no lines but is onstage the whole time. I have the class read the piece, then get the class' input on how to set up basic set pieces onstage. Then we work through blocking it together. I get lots of suggestions and we work through trial and error to find what works. Every 20-30 minutes I swap out the four actors and we continue to work until we have a finished product.

After this I assign a group project with neutral scenes so that everyone directs two other people, and acts under the direction of two students. 

Benjamin Sims
    Indian Trail NC

• 3.  RE: Plays to Teach Directing and Building a Pipeline Suggestions

Posted 07-02-2016 11:40

I know it may be a little older script, but Feiffer's People still has some great short scenes as well as monologues.

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Director of Theatre
    Ottumwa High School
    501 East Second Street
    Ottumwa, Iowa 52501

• 4.  RE: Plays to Teach Directing and Building a Pipeline Suggestions

Posted 07-03-2016 11:29

I have seen a variety of titles that are broken down into scenes that may work well for student directors or to jigsaw out and bring back together for a performance. 

Bully Plays (many short plays with common theme)

The Dining Room (many scenes dovetail over each other but the content is separated).

Almost, Maine 8 or 9 different scenes romantic comedy. 

The Good Doctor by Neil Simon. Some scene are more mature but some good characters and opportunities for different types of comedy. 

Cory Finch
    Drama Teacher/ Director/ Advisor
    Vista Murrieta High School
    Murrieta CA

• 5.  RE: Plays to Teach Directing and Building a Pipeline Suggestions

Posted 06-30-2016 07:52

At my high school we hosted "Pajama Dramas" and handed out fliers to feeder elementary schools. These events were where parents would drop their students off for our troupe to basically babysit for a few hours. During that time, we performed little songs for them, played Improv games, and occasionally even directed little children's show scenes with them as the stars! These events were especially well received around Christmas time when parents needed an evening free to shop for them. If you have students that are willing to, it's also a smash hit on Black Friday! We also would host a community breakfast around the children's show we were doing because allowing the children to meet the characters really increased their interest in the program! "Pancakes with Peter Pan", "Tea Under the Sea", "Swamp Snacks with Shrek", and "Beauty and the Beast Breakfast" were all ones that the community loved.

As for middle school students, it is a little more challenging because meeting the characters doesn't interest them as much. To earn their trust, the students all tried to attend the shows that our feeder schools performed and some would even volunteer to help run their tech elements if the teachers allowed. Middle school students also love social media, so starting a troupe Instagram or Twitter is a great way to peak their interest and show them the program that they can look forward to joining!

Good luck!

Alexandria E. Bagwell
    BFA Musical Theatre Student
    Anderson University, South Carolina School of the Arts

• 6.  RE: Plays to Teach Directing and Building a Pipeline Suggestions

Posted 07-01-2016 21:34

In the high school drama program I run we do a Shakespeare every other year and a large musical every other year   The large musicals we cast from the middle school as well as the high school   This tends to bring more audience because we have more parents and families to come see the shows and gets the kids really excited about joining our drama program when they get to high school   The kids are comfortable with the "drama family"  when they enter high school  and in turn, our drama program thrives. 

James Mead
    Director of Drama
    Colony High School
    Palmer AK

• 7.  RE: Plays to Teach Directing and Building a Pipeline Suggestions

Posted 07-23-2016 02:16

The play 'Red Licorice" by Carole Tippt is made up of a series of monologues however, the characters all talk about each other and it somehow all connects.  It is a great piece for beginning directors as you can put the other characters in the setting so the monologues are spoken to the other character.  "Glimpses" by various young playwrites is also a play that has monologues and scenes - these get teen angst-ish but you can find plenty to work on for character development and blocking. There is a series of "Scenes That Happen" by Mary Krell-Oishi.  They are scenes for teens and they are great for learning to direct, create character and try out blocking.  

As for your second question about working with your feeder school.  We have a Comedysportz team and they go to the intermediate schools and do workshops for the students. The students are their biggest fans and come to all the matches.  We added themed shows- like ugly Holiday Sweeter, College Sweatshirt etc...and the younger students come dressed in the theme and they also get to watch the games they learned at their workshop.  

We have done character pals with the Jr or Kids versions of musicals.  We will do the same musical (full versions) and the characters are matched up.  They help each other with lines and songs and character development.  

For our children's theater shows we invite the elementary schools to attend daytime performances.  We have also created posters for the show that are 11X17 blackline images so the students can color them and we post the best ones and give a prize. It creates a way to have the students take the poster home to color and the parents get the information about the play.  We had some very creative interpretations entered in the past. 

Hope these are helpful!  

Kathy Cannnarozzi Harris
    Theater Director - Mission Viejo HS
    VAPA Coordinator K-12
    Saddleback Valley USD
    Mission Viejo, CA